Thread: Truck Drivers

Truck Drivers

My husband is a truck driver, and he just lost his job. We are struggling to get him another job with a company he used to work. Does anybody has experience doing transporting on your own rather than with a company?

Rita, from what I've learned, it's much harder when you own your own truck than it is working for a company. My dad used to drive for Roadway and he said guys that own their own truck have to work all the time, to pay for fuel, truck payments, repairs, maintenance and such. He said he would never own his own truck. Hope that helps.

One of my brothers used to own 2 trucks, leased one out and drove the other himself for a couple of years in Alaska. Then he drove for a company. The other brother drove a reefer for a company all over the lower 48 for one year and got out of it. One nephew owned his own truck, but drove for a freight company for over a year before getting out of that business. My brother tells me the biggest mistake most owner/operators make is considering all the income as personal income and spending it. He says you need separate bank accounts; driver's mileage or income goes in the personal account, but the mileage paid for the truck goes into a truck account to be used ONLY for truck expenses; i.e., insurance, tires, fuel, and maintenance.

rnkt53
    I haven't any exp in transpotation..