Thread: Furniture Refinishing

Furniture Refinishing

In the winter when I'm driven inside, I inevitably find a piece of furniture to refinish. Anybody else into furniture finishing? This year I'm re-doing the dining room table.

Unfortunately, I don't really have the patience for it. However, I did just cover an ottoman that was a bit ragged and torn. It's not a perfect job, but for me, it was quite the achievement!

I don't refurnish the furnitures I have but my father loves doing it so I just wait for him to visit me and he does the job. I only supply him what what he needs. He finishes a furniture like it was new.

Got an old rocking chair that's been sitting around for the past ten years.
    Had a broken rocker and I made a new one of the same type of wood but I'm afraid to refinish it.
    Thinking that what ever I do the color of the new rocker won't come out right.

I'd be curious as to how you handle ventilation. Dust or fumes...either are difficut to deal with indoors.

I use a dust collector Robert. Rather than putting the fumes into the bag, where the sawdust usually goes, I vent them outside using a small piece of plywood with a hole in it and then vent the fumes outside through a basement window.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertbrown View Post
    I'd be curious as to how you handle ventilation. Dust or fumes...either are difficut to deal with indoors.
    My father don't refurnish inside the house. He always work outside the house as he doesn't want cleaning the mess that he would leave behind if he works indoors.