Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sports and Michael Vick

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    I have no use for or respect for anyone who engages in any cruel, sadistic activities, whether their victims be human or other animal. I have no problem with killing animals for food or to get rid of varmints that may be harmful, but I do believe in doing it in the quickest, most painless way possible. Of course I also have no problem with capital punishment for criminals, and in fact, feel that the death penalty is grossly underutilized.
    I agree 100% I get confused when one tries to define cruel.
    I see dogs tied to a stake in a yard that has nothing but dirt. The dog lives for 5-7 years then expires. A miserable exsitance covered in fleas and fire ants, infested with intestinal parasites, mange and heartworms. You ask the owner what happened, he says "the dog died" and shruggs his shoulders. 2 weeks later he gets a puppy from somewhere, after a few months the dog losses his novelty with the owner. It too gets the stake and the chain a bowl of food everyday and adequate water. The cycle continues. I see hunting dogs that are barely kept alive for 9 months so they can chase deer for 3 while thier ribs a hips wear the fur off of thier skin. If they don't hunt they are shot.
    To me this is cruel, but I see things differently than these dog owners. Is it criminal? No. To them the dog is a tool similar to a plow mule or an ox to rice farmer. I believe it to be wrong, my dogs are kept more like the children of these dog owners than the dogs themselves. My dogs are all 10-12 years old. The 12 year old acts like she did when she was 2, hasn't lost a step (Thank God and good pet care)
    I do not know exactly what Micheal Vick did or what cruel act he actually participated in. I know that some of the dogs were tortured, some had to be euthanized. To me Mike Vick is football player not a role model. If young people see him as a role model than they are misguided in my opinion.
    If you were to ask me if Micheal Vick regrets what he did. I would says absolutely he does. I believe he regrets it, but not for the reasons I would prefer. Mr Vick sees dogs differently than I do and I don't think that can be changed. I don't hate him for that, I'm indifferent.
    Please understand that I completely respect your opinion on this matter. I just look at it differently than you do, perhaps with a little less emotion.

The Michael Vick fans among you might want to read this story from today's Dallas Morning News. I think she makes some very good points.
    Instead of praising NFL star who tortured, killed dogs, applaud one of his victims | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Columnist Jacquielynn Floyd | Dallas-Fort Worth News

On second thought, football fans, especially Michael Vick fans, won't want to see such a story.

I have to agree with those who are still angry at Michael Vick. I felt like he should have remained banned from football. It's outrageous that now he wants to own dogs. There is no respect for Vick, or for those who support him now, not from me.

I say if the guy is truly reformed then I'll give him a second chance because everybody has made mistakes at some point in their life. If there was no forgiveness what kind of world would we live in?

Quote Originally Posted by healthygal View Post
    I say if the guy is truly reformed then I'll give him a second chance because everybody has made mistakes at some point in their life. If there was no forgiveness what kind of world would we live in?
    Being cruel and sadistic is not a "mistake".

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    The Michael Vick fans among you might want to read this story from today's Dallas Morning News. I think she makes some very good points.
    Instead of praising NFL star who tortured, killed dogs, applaud one of his victims | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Columnist Jacquielynn Floyd | Dallas-Fort Worth News

On second thought, football fans, especially Michael Vick fans, won't want to see such a story.
    Well, admittedly I did not realize the extent of his barbarism. I never dug into much more than the headlines "Vick has dog fighting operation" kind of stuff. Which, of course, is bad enough. I had no idea he gets kicks out of personally torturing them over and above making them fight each other.

This makes Michael Vick (even more of) a despicable human being.

Does it make him any more or less despicable than rapists or murderers or child molesters that serve their time and are let back into society? I am not terribly forgiving to those folks, but I accept that our society chooses to give them a second opportunity at life, particularly if there was no previous history of criminal activity. What they make of it at that point is up to them.

Who is more likely to fall back into criminal activity, the man who is let out of prison that has little to fall back on? Or the man that has another opportunity to make millions if he walks the straight-and-narrow? If any convicted criminal can be thought of as having an opportunity to turn his life around, I'd think it would be the latter. Doesn't make what he did any more palatable.

I realize we all make mistakes; I've made my share, goodness knows. It's just this was extreme and cruel, and I can't abide by it. He didn't suffer much. I don't think he regrets it, except for being convicted.

Perhaps some of you might want to read about the responses that author of that newspaper article got. I can't say they surprise me.
    Floyd: Tale of former Vick dog stirs emotion, response from readers | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Columnist Jacquielynn Floyd | Dallas-Fort Worth News