Thread: Family Tradition

Family Tradition

We have a family tradition that my parents started when I was little. We put up the Christmas decorations the week of Thanksgiving and then when we came home from grandma's we plugged them in and we take everything down the week after the new year. Now it is my parents house we go to and then come home and the kids really enjoy it. My spouse thought it was strange though. What is a tradition in your family for the holidays?

Wow county that is pretty neat! We have always got to open a gift on Christmas eve right before bed. Then we got to open our stockings while we waited for my parents to get up and then open gifts and dad makes breakfast Christmas morning.

The biggest tradition my family share is called "parranda." It is a Christmas party like similar to the ones I used to have in Puerto Rico. There is a lot of traditional Christmas music as well as traditional food. A lot of people come, especially families with their kids so their kids can experience a traditional Puertorican Christmas. My kids love it.

We always go to midnight mass on the 24th. We then gather together a my mom's to open one gift. The rest we open Christmas morning.

We always go the first weekend of December as a family (parents, grandparents, siblings and kids) and get our Christmas trees. Then we all go out to lunch and head home to decorate.

Most families will have a get together on Christmas. As for us, we usually go to different places on Christmas and stay with relatives on New Year's Eve. It is not really a tradition as we do it when we have budget for it.

The tradition we do is the gathering of the family before the sunset of the last day of the year. We sat down as a family and recall all the wonderful things happened throughout the year. We also say our apologies to each other for the wrong that had been done. Then we pray as a family to keep us closer to each other.