Thread: Choosing an Architect

Choosing an Architect

I think referrals are one of the best ways to at least narrow down choices but what do you do if you have no references? Were deciding whether to tear down and build our dream house or if we can renovate what we have into something we love.

Quote Originally Posted by countrystepper View Post
    I think referrals are one of the best ways to at least narrow down choices but what do you do if you have no references? Were deciding whether to tear down and build our dream house or if we can renovate what we have into something we love.
    This is a very important decision. I would not get in a hurry here. You are going to have to trust this person. After checking his credentials and pending actions or lawsuits.....
    Perhaps you should outline your concerns, getting very specific, especially with the remodel. Those things that you feel will become a challenge for the Architect to overcome. Then ask the prospects for prior projects and details from same. Look for similarities to your scenario and question the Architect about how he or she overcame these "obsticals". Look for inovative solutions here.
    I would not preface your project, giving the Architect the choice of starting fresh as he will see this option will mean more money for less work.
    I suupose the best thing you can do is educate your self about the best solutions for your problems or concerns,waht ever may be important to you. for example: energy consumption. If this is important, get up to speed on the latest building materials, appliances, and energy storage techniques.

This is a lot of good insight, I believe it's always good to get others opinions as there's always going to be something that you didn't think of. We're hoping to start building from mid to late spring so I think this gets us off to a good start.

You could consult someone who sells those "home kits", as they also do design work. The design work runs about $1 per square foot. Some drafters can do this work too. That way you can play around with ideas rather than having full plans drawn up before you're ready.