Thread: Broken Leg

Unhappy Broken Leg

My horse broke her leg in the pasture yesterday and the vet says she may make a recovery but recommends putting her down. She is 8 years old and I really don't feel that putting her down is the only answer. I have 2 children that love to brush her and go for short 'walks' so she wouldn't be too active.

Yep, she may recover, but it's doubtful. I suspect the vet is right. Instead of recovering, she'll just get to suffer longer before she either dies or you decide to have her put down. But I realize it's a tough decision.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont
    It's not a simple question. I've seen horses recover from broken legs, but the breaks were simple fractures. Is the bone shattered? The vet suggested putting her down, is that due to the expense or the small chance of recovery she has? If her chance of recovery is good, and you can afford the expense, then maybe you can go for it. But if she suffers with little chance of recovery, then perhaps putting her down is the most humane thing. You have to determine what the best is for the horse and not for you.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

I agree with the others that you have to do whats best for the horse. I understand the love you and your family feel for it, but you can not let an animal suffer for your benefit.

It depends on the break and the vet. I am good friends with a vet who specializes in equine care and he's saved horses others said to put down. Good luck with your decision OP; I am sorry and I know it's not easy.