Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Law Suit

Law Suit

Today, as an early Christmas present someone came to serve us papers for a law suit against my husband and I for a car accident in 2008. I am wondering if we would be stuck paying money we don't have.

I am really sorry to hear this. It definitely is the worse Christmas surprise you could have gotten. However, I think that you need to contact your insurance company. They are supposed to be able to help. That is if you had insurance at the time of the accident.

I also think you should contact your insurance company as soon as possible. It doesn't seem right that they would try to go after you 2 years later. Maybe check with a lawyer on the situation (free consultations usually).

If it's a personal injury case, those can run into very high settlement costs, and it's not something you want to try to handle on your own, so an attorney would be in your best interest.

You guys are right. We made an appointment to talk to a lawyer tomorrow. I also left a message with the insurance company and hope they get in touch tomorrow or I will give them another call.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiquita View Post
    You guys are right. We made an appointment to talk to a lawyer tomorrow. I also left a message with the insurance company and hope they get in touch tomorrow or I will give them another call.
    man that sucks, I sincerely hope you can nip this in the bud. Hopefully it's just an attempt to intimidate. How bad was the accident anyway?

That is awful. People are sue happy these days though and will find any reason to try to get 'free' money. I hope you can get it taken care of quickly and not have to worry about it anymore.

I wonder what the statue of limitations is on this. Most things can't be sued for or taken to court after a certain amount of time. What have you found out?

It's usually a long time like 3-5 years and this is why you have insurance. I wouldn't worry. These things usually carry a set amount of compensation and your insurance company will pay it, not you.

The insurance company will pay to the level you insured yourself. Personal injury cases, if that's what's involved can be very costly and sticky. A lawyer is your best source of reliable info.