Thread: Earthworms, Pests or Helpers?

Earthworms, Pests or Helpers?

I had a debate with a friend of mine regarding earthworms. My argument is that worms are helping in cultivating the soil. My friend opposed it and said that they destroy the land and makes the land weak which will be susceptible to erosion when rain comes. What is your opinion on this?

I guess it depends on what you want. I agree with you. However I suppose if you don't care about growing anything and you have a steep slope, you wouldn't want your soil aerated by earthworms.

Earthworms are going to thrive where the soil is stable and moist. It's unlikely that soil erosion or landslides are going to happen as the result of earthworms. It's more likely to find these anelids in level ground at bottoms where organic matter tends to accumulate and not at higher elevations or on hilsides likely to erode.

Earthworms are quite critical to the quality of the soil. If you have earthworms present in your soil, then that's a very good indicator. They enhance decompostion and cultivation of the soil.

I agree with the majority. Earthworms are crucial to the ecology and help to keep the ground and the soil healthy. I don't think they play any part in soil erosion. And, when you want to go fishing, just dig up a few.

definatly a helper, they areate the soil but also while chewing their way though organic matter tie the soil together with the goo they excrete, sounds stupid that one tiny worm can do that but when you have millions it works.
    your more likely to want the earth worms on the slope aerating it so that plants can grow and hold the side of the gully in place

Lose the earthworms - the soil loses its quality- less organic matter and less greenery. It holds less water, dries out faster and starts to erode, gets dusty, blows and washes away. Same cycle happens when you clearcut a forest.

Earthworms are a gardeners best friend. They pull trimmings down into the soil, they eat, they poop, and that poo is worth it's weight in gold. Worms aerate the soil, break up hardpan, give water channels to get down to the roots, bring leaves, trimmings and half rotted stuff down into the soil, where it breaks up and feeds the soil, and the plants that grow in it. people all over have vermicomposters for a reason! They make the best soil amendment in the world, for next to no $. As someone else said, no worms means very little soil fertility. You want to do the Earth a favor? Buy worms and dump them in a garden.