Thread: Discourging Skunks

Discourging Skunks

I don't really know if there is anything to be done or not,but does anyone know if there is any way of discouraging skunks from hanging around a yard? I am not interested in skunk killing options; just innocent 'go away' options.

Don't give them a reason to hang around.
    Food is the primary reason any critter keeps coming back. Check to see what is in your yard that they will eat and then get rid of it. Won't work right away. It will take a while before they figure out that the free food line has been closed, then they will go elsewhere.
    AbO 2012

I was going to suggest that maybe you could trap them and then transport them and let them go free somewhere more appropriate----but then I realized that could be asking for trouble, couldn't it.....

This post reminds me one of the episodes of dirty jobs. Sometimes critters, like skunks, would make a home under our houses so this is the reason why we always see them. You can hire someone to check what is under your house and relocate the skunk.

I wonder if you could contact your closest fish and wildlife office for advice on the matter. Or maybe even your local animal control people??

Bleach, they hate the smell. Plus (I think) any mouthwash with oil of eucalyptis in it.
    No fun, change the rules!!!

Skunks will use pet doors to get to pet food. They will hang out under your house if there is an entry point. A game/trail cam set up by an entry point will let you know when the animal goes in and comes out. You don't want to plug the hole with the animal under the house. Skunk trapping is not a trivial enterprise as they will typically spray and even if you take precautions to not get it on you it will be in the yard and stink for quite a while. (Odormute is a child and pet safe product to use to KILL the odor, not mask it.) Be careful, skunks can spray considerable distances.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"