Thread: Natural Herbicides?

Natural Herbicides?

We have some nasty thistles and other weeds growing in our yard and are debating between regular herbicides or more environmentally friendly options. What are your suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by OldMcDonald View Post
    We have some nasty thistles and other weeds growing in our yard and are debating between regular herbicides or more environmentally friendly options. What are your suggestions?
    Thistles grow very quickly and produce thousands of seeds. If you spray a post emergent non selective herbicide, you'll find that the seeds will still germinate. I don't think that that type of herbicide is very impactful but that could be argued. What i will tell you is that is not very effective.
    A pre emergent might be more effective but the application is tricky and most people will tell you that type of herbicide is more impactful to your native plants insects and animals.
    Believe it or not the best way to get rid of thistles is to pull them. It's not really all that bad when you consider how effective and efficient it is. If you use glove you won't get stuck. If you grab it just right you don't need gloves. They have shallow roots, so just pull shake off the dirt and move to the next one. You could probably get a hundred in an hour or 2.

Well that sounds...fun. Maybe pulling them will help me get some aggression out though. I'll go dig up my gloves because I don't trust my ability to not get pricked. Thanks!

Some folks say vinegar works on thistle!
    Vinegar as an Organic Weed Killer