Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KitchenAid attachments

Hybrid View

KitchenAid attachments

I am so excited my parents bought me the 2 attachments for my mixer that I wanted!! I got the pasta maker and the slicer/shredder. I knew they were going to be a little pricey but they bought them anyway. Can't wait to get to use them!!

I have had my eye on the meat grinding attachment for awhile. I like to hunt deer, and have wanted to try my hand at venison sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    I have had my eye on the meat grinding attachment for awhile. I like to hunt deer, and have wanted to try my hand at venison sausage.
    I make sausage every year from deer and wild hog. I usually grind the meat with a hand grinder but this year I used my spouses Kitchenaid mixer with the meat grinder attachments. The first thing I notice was than the motor is only 300watts, secondly the throat of the grinder is barely an 1-1/4".
    After 4 hours and 10 pounds of sausage, I can tell you that this device is like a leatherman it will do many things but won't do any of them particularly well. It's a meat grinder and it certainly grinds meat. But I would have been done sooner with a hand grinder. I would not recomend this grinder for quanities of meat larger than a pound or two.If you are going to make sauage regularly with fairly large quanitities of wild meat get a hand grinder or one that draws at least 6 amps.
    Since wild meat has more sinew than domestic you need more power or you spend hours trimming and avoiding the trimming is why you make sausage in the first place.
    The kitchenaid grinder attachment is good for occasionally grinding a pound or 2 of beef or pork of the domestic variety but it's overwhelmed with a decent sized deer or (wild) hog ham

Quote Originally Posted by Robertbrown View Post
    I make sausage every year from deer and wild hog. I usually grind the meat with a hand grinder but this year I used my spouses Kitchenaid mixer with the meat grinder attachments. The first thing I notice was than the motor is only 300watts, secondly the throat of the grinder is barely an 1-1/4".
    After 4 hours and 10 pounds of sausage, I can tell you that this device is like a leatherman it will do many things but won't do any of them particularly well. It's a meat grinder and it certainly grinds meat. But I would have been done sooner with a hand grinder. I would not recomend this grinder for quanities of meat larger than a pound or two.If you are going to make sauage regularly with fairly large quanitities of wild meat get a hand grinder or one that draws at least 6 amps.
    Since wild meat has more sinew than domestic you need more power or you spend hours trimming and avoiding the trimming is why you make sausage in the first place.
    The kitchenaid grinder attachment is good for occasionally grinding a pound or 2 of beef or pork of the domestic variety but it's overwhelmed with a decent sized deer or (wild) hog ham
    Thanks for the input, I was thinking about getting that grinder attachment for my wife's Professional 6 quart mixer. I'll think I'll save my money.

What hand grinder do you recommend?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    Thanks for the input, I was thinking about getting that grinder attachment for my wife's Professional 6 quart mixer. I'll think I'll save my money.

What hand grinder do you recommend?

Thanks,
    It's a Porkert, says "made in Czechoslavakia". Seems to me I bought it new but only about ten years ago, so I don't know what to say about the Czechoslavakia. This manufacturer is very popular and I suspect there are thousands of these grinders in use in the USA. Extremely durable, 100% cast iron construction. It looks pretty much like it did the day I bought it.
    I have seen accesories that will enable you to employ an electric motor, but this needs to be consrtucted properly with safety in mind. Especially if you have children.

I really like the kitchen-aid we have and I didn't realize it had attachments like these. My wife will be so surprised when I get her these for her birthday in a couple months thank you!

I need to get our pasta attachment out. Homemade pasta is some effort, but very good!

I bought the meat grinder attachment for ours and a daughter gave us the ice cream maker attachment. Never tried making hoimemade pasta and don't have that attachment.

I think the pasta attachment and the ice cream maker are the only 2 I don't have! I might want to start looking at getting them as I love ice cream and I am sure home made pasta would be wonderful!

My grandma, mother, sister and wife all have a KitchenAid mixer and half the time trade attachments. They are lucky we all live within an hour of each of them so we can borrow or they can. Makes it a little easier on the pocketbook as these are expensive!