Thread: Homemade Donuts

Homemade Donuts

Do you ever make homemade donuts? I use the word homemade loosely because we actually use pre-made biscuit dough. Make a hole in it, drop it into some hot oil until brown (flip once), then roll in sugar. Yum!

We do the same but we actually skip the hole and just make them small and round then we do the whole assembly line of things, sugar, cinnamon & sugar, sprinkles, and of course chocolate. Think I'll do that with the kids tomorrow.

I don't do it to often because of the work but now that I know of the biscuit method I may be doing it a little more often.

I love this somewhat simplified idea, but I have never tried it myself or made legitimate homemade donuts. I don't really cook much from scratch anymore. Too messy and not enough time, I'm afraid.

My girls love these donuts. I actually have the oldest making them herself now. She fries them in the oil and her little sister takes a bowl of powdered sugar and shakes them around in it.

It's been a few years, but my wife used to make donuts that way when our girls were kids; cut a hole in the middle of canned biscuits, deep fry them, then roll in a mixture of plain granulated sugar and cinammon. The kids loved them, and I liked them, too, when they were fresh. When I was a kid, my mother would occasionally make yeast rising donuts; more like what you buy in the donut shops now. They were delicious, but the best I can remember, it was just about an all day job.

I have never made them with biscuit dough, we have always made them with actual dough. Do they taste the same with biscuit dough? I may have to try that one.

Do they taste the same with biscuit dough?
    No, but they taste pretty good.

I prefer the biscuit-dough taste because I don't like the taste of regular donuts. I do run into issues with the donuts getting really tough within a day or too though.

The biscuit donuts are good when they're fresh. I don't care much for them after they're a day old. I prefer the light and fluffy texture of regular donuts. But even then, they need to be fresh or else warmed in the microwave. Of course we have donut shops everywhere; open 5 a.m. to noon. I don't often visit them anymore, but when I do, it's usually to buy an apple fritter.:laughing: