Thread: Learning Chess

Learning Chess

I want to learn how to play chess and recently found an app for this but have yet to try it, would it be more beneficial to learn from an actual person?

That's ambitious, and I truly wish you luck. Chess has never been my game. I am more of a Checkers person. Chess is too 'heady' for me, I guess. It seems to be growing in popularity, though.

Chess is a wonderful game to learn, but be patient with yourself. People learn in different ways. I like to read about something first, then have someone show me how to do something. The app might sort of do that.

I learned to play chess when I was about 13 or 14, played more in my early 20s than any other time, but would probably have never been considered a "good" player. I taught my daughters to play before they were teenagers, and while I tried to help them learn as much as possible, I would not "let" them win. They had to earn it. And you should have seen the excitement and joy the first time the younger one beat me.:laughing:

There was a time when I thought I was good at checkers; just a very simple game, right? Well, in the early 90s, I met a fellow in an RV park in Bowling Green, KY (he and his wife were from Tennessee) and I soon learned that I was no competition at all for him.

Alisha2
    Yes,Playing chess is really a cool experience. Even I used to be very good player in chess while i was in college, Playing chess is always a great fun.