Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dishwasher

I think dishwashers must be the least reliable appliance. I don't know why but it seems they like to just die randomly. There must be millions of them in our landfills!

Quote Originally Posted by healthygal View Post
    I think dishwashers must be the least reliable appliance. I don't know why but it seems they like to just die randomly. There must be millions of them in our landfills!
    And it wouldn't be so bad if they'd just die without springing a leak and sending water all over the kitchen floor. At least that's been our experience.:laughing:

The Kenmore/kitchen aide and all others made by the company that makes those.Which is about half the ones made have a thing down in the bottom under a cover that you need a screw driver to get to called a "chopper" That device has a sharp blade tht rotates on a fixed steal screen that cuts up all the food particles into very small pieces so that they wash away with the water. The drive shaft for that chopper is plastic and if any hard object gets to the screen ( piece of glass, bone, hard plastic ) the drive shaft will shear off and the food will no longe get cut up and will make your dishes dirty. The chopper is cheap about $20 but replacing it will make you cry.

We have an open floor plan and a Kenmore Elite dishwasher with extended warranty. It works well and is so quiet it does not interfere with TV or music. I mounted it well above floor level in an island next to a sink. By raising it you don't have to do deep knee bends or touch your toes exercises to load/empty the lower rack. The cord that takes the weight of the door to springs to make it easy to raise and lower is the only warranty repair needed in 5 + years. It has delayed start option so if you don't want to be able to hear it at all just set it to run after bedtime. Consumer Reports is a decent source of info re dishwasher performance, longevity, price, noise , etc. We have had many brands over the years but are now hard over for Kenmore top of the line appliances and their extended warranty. We have had very few problems but they are always fixed to our satisfaction in a reasonable period of time. When the repair guy comes he checks out ALL the Kenmore appliances, adjusting burner flames, testing frige and freezer temps, even cleans out the dryer duct of lint and on and on.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I haven't had a dishwasher or should I say working dishwasher in about six months if not longer. It is so hard to find parts for them sometimes and the things that would break would be parts that would baffle the sales men. We unplugged it and put the manual dishwashers (my daughters) to work.

I second taking a look to see if there is a reason your dishes are coming out with bits on them. I finally learned to clean out the filter basket more regularly to keep the dishes cleaner.

Has anyone tried those dishwasher detergent packets? My husband brought some home once and by the end of the box, the inside of our dishwasher was nasty! I read later that the dissolving packet sort of sticks around in the dishwasher once it melts. That's where the mess was coming from. Ick.

I suggest you go for Bosch. It's awesome.