Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snakes

Snakes

My daughter wants a pet snake. I never thought that one of my daughters will actually go for the reptiles. I am not comfortable with having a snake in the house, but at the same time, I don't want to discourage her. What would you do?

I would be sorry for my daughter or son, but there is no way I am going to accept a pet snake in my house. I am already nervous just thinking about it.

No way is a snake coming into my house. Get her a dog, a cat, a guinea pig, a rabbit, a bird --- no snakes. Give her a lizard, but not a snake. Can you imagine how you'd feel when (okay if) that snake got out and you didn't know where it was? Nope, no snakes.

I couldn't handle a snake in the house either but I understand you want to take her feelings into consideration. Could the snake be in a cage outside, or would you still be too nervous?

Yeah, I would compromise with another reptile as a lizard, or chameleon if that's possible. But who knows if you get use to that then you might find your open to a non poisonous snake, although I don't think I would.

I do not like snakes at all so I would have to tell her no. I would compromise though with a lizard or other reptile. My sister had and Iguana for the longest time and that would be pretty neat to get her, if she liked that sort of thing.

I would really want to have a pretty in-depth discussion with her on the matter, on the front end of saying "No". That way I could explain why I feel differently. Then I would tell her she can have one when she has her own house some day.

I have a few snakes and have been raising and breeding snakes since I was a kid around 10 I think. I would recommend if you decide to get her a pet snake to start with a corn snake and get a baby. She needs to know that they eat mice and anything that has a mouth can bite.

I had a grass snake and a slow worm when I was a teenager. If you get her one that is harmless and small where is the problem? Of course if you have a real phobia then you will just have to explain it to her and she will have to wait until she has left home!

I would recommend getting her a ball python as her first snake. Corn Snakes are great but they are pretty squirmy and fast. The ball pythons especially the babies can get used to being handled. I have never had any problem with a ball python as long as it is captive bred.