Thread: Another holiday season gone....

Another holiday season gone....

As we are wrapping up 2010's holiday season, I would like to hear about your biggest successes in the kitchen as well as the worst disasters. Please shae your learning experiences.

They are the same -- experimentation. I've acquired a few gizmos to assist me in the kitchen and as a result, I've done more trial and error without worrying about it. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it's a dud.

Well I can't remember that far back, but we did just make a super yummy Brazilian Chicken Curry dish last night. The link is here: Apron's Recipe - Brazilian Chicken Curry

I love to experiment in the kitchen and a few times it was not a good turn out, but then we just end up making something else or ordering pizza! The most successful thing was making cookies with my son for the first time...he was so proud of himself!

My biggest disaster this past season was two days before my Christmas party. I put a "Flan" (Spanish Custard) in the oven like at 7 pm, checked it at 8 pm and noticed that it didn't set because I put it on the wrong temperature. I increased the temperature and left it to go watch TV but forgot to put the timer. One thing led to another, and I went to sleep with no recollection of it whatsoever.

Next thing, I know I'm dreaming about it and wake up in a panic to find it almost charred in the open. Thank God this is done in a double boiler so it had water for a while and it didn't catch fire. The worse part was the half hour I spend making the perfect caramel for it. I decided to not make any desserts for the party because after all most of my guest always bring desserts anyway.