Thread: How long do you homeschool?

How long do you homeschool?

Say you start at the beginning, do you homeschool your child all the way through high school, or do you stop at some point, like high school so they can get some real socialization before college?

Some of my friends who homeschool their kids go all the way but if their kids want to go to public school they let them. I think socialization is important and if the kids aren't in groups or have outside friends they will have no friends. That was my fear with home schooling, anyway.

I have a friend who lives in a country where English is not spoken very well. Her children were home schooled until now. Her oldest daughter will be entering college next year and she will stay in the states with her grandparents when her application is approved.

I guess the length of home schooling depends on how dedicated is the parent who is home schooling the kids.

I really believe socialization is necessary, and I worry about a child going straight from homeschool to college. That's why I was wondering about the high school level.

You are correct. Socialization is very important for any child because it will help the child become independent from the parents. But sometimes, there are instances where situations won't allow the child to go to school and only homeschool is the only option.

I admire the people who home school. I think most people do it for the duration. While socialization is important, I think that parents that homeschool have many socialization opportunities as long as they look for them.

I want to homeschool my children through high school. They thrive in that setting and it really works for us.

The whole socialization problem is sort of a myth, really. My kids interact with people of all ages, throughout the day! And if you think about it, where else, besides school, are you age-segregated all the time? I think people think of homeschoolers as all holed up at home all the time, but really, most of us just tote the kiddies along as we go about our lives. So, the people we see, they see and interact with too.

I agree with linny about the socialization issue being a myth. My daughter's get plenty of time during our school week to be with others. And, it is not just others their own age. It is also older children and adults, which I think is great! They get to learn about and see things that they would never be able to experience if they were in a classroom for 6-7 hours per day. That is just my two cents!

I am going to homeschool the kids as long as they want to. They went to public school for a couple years because they wanted to try it, then changed their mind and are homeschooling again. If they ask to try it again I would let them go to public school. As long as life allows it I want to make it an option to my kids. I am not worried at all about socialization.

If I homeschool my kids, which I'm seriously considering, I will do it all the way through high school unless they want to try public school. There are plenty of groups around here so they will easily be able to socialize.