Thread: Your First Plant

Your First Plant

Do you recall what the very first plant, or flower, was that you ever planted? Was it potted or in a garden? Were you a kid or adult?

From what I recall, I planted a corn when I was about 5 years old. I planted it in a can. I was so happy when sprouts came out but it withered after 3 or 4 days because I forgot to make a hole at the bottom of the can.

My Dad had a garden from the time I was just a couple of years old, back in the 40's. When I got older, probably in my early teens, I started developing an interest in gardening. We had lots of veggies and flowers, especially zinnias. I believe they were probably the first flowers I planted. It went from there to a small corner of the veggie garden where I planted a few things my Dad didn't grow. It was fun and I still love to garden.

I can remember starting off inside with a starter kit to grow tomatoes. Can still remember the thrill to see the soil arch up and up popped the first green sprout. When it warmed up, I transplanted my little fledglings outside. They didn’t last long, but the birds sure did enjoy them!

My first ever plant was a cactus and I was just a kid. I picked it at the nursery and brought it home. It was prickly and I thought that was cool.