Thread: Rag rugs

Rag rugs

Has anyone ever made a rug out of scraps of material? I recall my grandmother sitting pulling scraps through a mesh base with a hooked implement like a crochet hook and I wouldn't mind having a go at this. I'm sure they were called rag rugs.

No, I haven't, but what a good idea! I may try doing it myself; I have plenty of scraps lying around.

Here is a site with some instructions: Rag Rug Instructions

Quote Originally Posted by OldMcDonald View Post
    No, I haven't, but what a good idea! I may try doing it myself; I have plenty of scraps lying around.

Here is a site with some instructions: Rag Rug Instructions
    This is an absolutely fabulous site! I hadn't realised that there were so many different methods of making a simple rug but I intend to explore them all, and what a great craft to get children involved in! I may suggest this to my local nursery school.

Another easy tutorial I've found for handmade rag rugs is Hula Hoop Rug | Easy Crafts for Kids -- Quick Arts and Craft Ideas -- Kids' Crafts | FamilyFun Between this, the site listed above, and all the old clothes my kids have outgrown I should be able to make plenty of rugs to give out this year as Christmas gifts.

As a former Industrial Arts instructor with a Crat industrie specialty there are a number of rugs that can be made with rags. Braided rugs are probably the simplest and you jut stitch the braids together to make the rug. The most common braid is your regulalr three strand braid but there are many variations from ladder braids, to plaits and false braids. the patterns are only limited by your imagination.

Good luck
    Charles