Thread: Compost--Bin or Pile?

Compost--Bin or Pile?

Do you compost in a bin or pile? Why? If you use a bin, what type do you have?

I am considering buying or making a tumbler, or just sticking with a pile because it's free.

We are lucky in that our local council is very much into recycling and they supply compost bins for free. They are made of hard plastic with a lid on top into which you place the raw material and a little door on the side from which you remove the compost and it's really very simple. We keep it at the bottom of the garden.

Peppercorn, that is fantastic! You are so fortunate! I wish we had something like that here as I'd love a bin but I'm not so thrilled at the idea of paying for one.

County Extension

There are some counties in Florida that will give you a compost bin. I got one from the county I live in. It doesn't some quite as elaborate as peppercorns. I was also able to attend a seminar on composting and was given a thermometer by the county, you may not think those things are necessary but they are quite useful. I learned how to make compost quickly and efficiently.
    I have since built a 3 sided bin that accomadates the loader on my tractor so turning is not an issue for me.
    pictures available on request.