Thread: Ice cream

Ice cream

Does anyone make their own? I'm sitting here eating some Ben and Jerry's Caramel Chew Chew and wondering of I could make some that tasted as good. My brother swears that home made is the best but I've never done it.

I have Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book and, using their recipe, sometimes make fresh peach ice cream in the KitchenAid mixer ice cream maker. Fresh peach is my favorite ice cream but can seldom be found in grocery stores. Fresh peach and chocolate are the only recipes I've tried of Ben & Jerry's.

I have never tried it but have always wanted too. I think what stops me is the cost of the actual ice cream makers and the time intensive process.

I would love to have a copy of that book. I love to make homemade ice cream and my favorites are pineapple and banana. There is something so yummy about fresh fruit in homemade ice cream.

Yep, Robert, that's the book I have. I bought mine locally at the Barnes and Noble bookstore.

Cool, the wife loves to make homemade ice cream. I might get a copy for her. Thanks for the link. I love her homemade sherbets She has these down like a professional.

Do you have to have an ice cream maker or could you make ice cream by whisking the flavours into custard or double cream and then just freezing it? I'm loathe to spend the money on a machine as I won't eat that much ice cream!

No, I have never made my own - but I have a friend who makes ice cream regularly. She loves to experiment with flavours - she's made curry ice cream (OK) and garlic and coconut (wierdly wonderful) and bourbon and porridge oats (chewy and very high %) !