Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really missing fresh produce

Really missing fresh produce

I was so spoiled over the summer with a bountiful garden and an awesome local farmer's market. Now that winter is in full force, I am tired of paying top prices for terrible quality produce, not to mention the lack of selection lately. Anyone else disappointed?

I'm sorry. Your post reminded me how fortunate I am to live in a place where I have access to pretty good fresh produce year-round.

We have a cold winter, so I feel your pain. I prefer fresh local produce to what they call fresh produce in the grocery stores, I find you have to check things so closely to make sure they are good enough to eat.

Yeah, baby, I know what you mean. Store-bought fruit and veggies are never as good as home-grown or locally grown. I ain't sure what they do to it (or don't do to it), but it never tastes the same.

I took and froze/canned as much as possible so that I did not have to buy much in the stores this winter. So far so good I have only had to go to the store for spinach as I didn't plant any.

I am having the same problem. Especially during this horrible winter. We are getting snow every 3 to 5 days. Things are so expensive it is ridiculous. The worst part is that the prices are going to get even higher. The price of gas tells the story. As it goes up, so do the fresh produce.

Even living on the edge of civilization (or a little further out) we have several sources of good produce. Maybe not as good in some instances as home grown but in general as good or nearly so in most instances. You do have to be a bit picky with tomatoes and not buy the ones developed to travel well and last a long time on the shelf instead of having good texture and flavor. We get nice vine ripened hot house tomatoes locally grown that are nearly the equal of home grown summertime tomatoes. Much of the fruit is imported but that is the case most of the time.

I am into salads and find a wealth of good fresh tasty ingredients. Ahh... tomato, onion, avacado, lettuce, baby carrots, radish, and 6-8 oz of medium rare steak cut into thin strips... now there is a salad serving for me. Tender but firm kidney beans or garbanzos sprinkled in liberally and some shredded sharp cheddar or a few table spoons of cottage cheese (or both) and I'm good. I can consume massive quantities and still keep my weight under 210 (down from 263 last year.)

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Wow, Pat, good for you! Losing over 50 pounds is an amazing accomplishment.

You make salad actually sound good, but that's probably due to the steak and cheese!

Why not plant cherry tomatoes and leaf lettuce in pot and place them in front of the window ?
    I mean if there is a will... there is a way.

I'm loving the salad description as I am also mad about this food and I lose a couple of pounds in a week when I eat it, but the tomatoes are tasteless at this time of year and I must have them in my salads.