Thread: Sledding

Sledding

My whole family is getting together tomorrow to go sledding at my parents house. SHould be a good time and a full hill. Their are 16 and 8 children!

Wow, minus the cold and wet that come with sledding that sounds like it will be a blast. I haven't been sledding in years, but I remember it being a lot of fun.

I haven't even run and slid on the ice/snow since last year. Even in San Diego it got cold enough to put frost on the dock at our yacht club. I used to run and slide quite a ways. For some reason I was the only person doing it. I never went into the bay but probably more due to dumb luck than skill.

As a lad in Lima Ohio we used to go to Schoonover park (large public park with lake and boat rentals and swimming pool.)

http://www.recreationparks.net/OH/al...over-park-lima

We would sled down long fairly steep hills and then out across the frozen lake at great speed for quite a distance. The ice was only a foot or two below the level of the surrounding hills so no big deal getting out on the lake at full speed. I recall some close calls with inattentive ice skaters. Eehaaaw!!!!

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I haven't been sledding in years. I used to go regularly as a child. It was one of my favorite past times and the reason why I always got so excited when I heard it was going to snow! Those were the good old days.

That sounds like a lot of fun! We use to go all the time when I was a kid and I loved it. Also ice skating and skiing were lots of fun.

Lately, during my evening runs in Montana (and yes, I do still occasionally run in Montana), I have been dragging a sled along for the trip. The sled is a harsh necessity of the Susitna 100, which requires every competitor to carry at least 15 pounds of survival gear, including a sleeping bag rated to -20 degrees F (mine is rated to -40), a bivy sack, a closed-cell foam pad, 3,000 calories of emergency-only food (i.e. you're not allowed to eat it), a stove, a pan, fuel, and whatever else you feel like bringing.

This is my sixth year preparing for a winter ultra in Alaska, but my first attempt to compete on foot (all the others have been by bicycle.) I have mixed feelings about the Susitna 100's required gear. I understand the harshness of the environment and that the race directors have liabilities. However, I also feel that people who are bold enough to sign up for a race like the Susitna 100 should be smart enough to know what they need. The White Mountains 100 takes place in a much more remote region, under generally colder conditions.

We are taking the kids sledding on Sunday on a hill my friends own, also my one son is going to a birthday party Saturday with sledding included on a hill in town.