Thread: Pig Heads

Pig Heads

I went into Wal-Mart yesterday and they are selling pig heads. I guess I am a little more city than I thought because I can't help but wonder why on earth someone would want to buy a pig's head.

Why would anyone buy a pig's head? Well, you know the Mexican tradition at Christmas is to have tamales instead of the USA tradition of turkey. And the traditional meat to make tamales was to cook a pig's head and then strip that meat off the head. I used to have a fellow, originally from San Antonio, TX, working for me whose family still followed that tradition. However, we had neighbors (very close friends, in fact) of Mexican descent, but originally from Kansas City, and while they made tamales every Christmas, they cooked a pork roast, diced the meat, and used an entirely different recipe (sauce) from Tex-Mex. We helped with the process of making their tamales a couple of years. But when some other friends and I used to get together for a day of tamales making, we cooked and ground up beef chuck roasts for ours. I liked all those tamales, but it's a lot of work to make them, so now I just buy Pedro's Fiesta Tamales from Lubbock, TX.:laughing:

Yuck! Having said that, I remember a sheep's head sitting in the sink when I was a child, waiting for my mother to make soup with it, Needless to say I refused to eat the soup and have been practically vegetarian ever since!