Thread: Heating a workshop?

Heating a workshop?

How do you heat your workshop? Ours is currently not heated. It has no insulation but it is well ventilated. We just got it set up in October and it is far too cold to work out there in our winters. It has a limited amount of electricity as it is not on it's own circuit, what is the best way, in your opinion, to heat it? We are considering a propane heater that goes on top of a propane tank (like for a BBQ)

Monnie, I heat my workshop with a wood burning stove. I think it's the perfect source of heat. It's free (if you cut the wood yourself), it's warm and, if you ever lose power, you can cook on it. I've had mine in my workshop for about 3 years. I used to heat with propane but it got too expensive for me.

Ok, he was leaning towards one or the other, I will let him know this. I suggested a wood stove, we have one in the house but he would need a smaller one in the shop, what size is recommended?

Howdy,

2nd post here with CBN, so hope not intruding?

Lots depends on which way to go for heating your shop... average winter outdoor ambient temps, size of the shop, high or low ceiling, availability of different fuel sources?

For a wood stove, get the square footage of the shop, then a local dealer can help you out theere. We're lucky enough to have an excellant Ace hardware nearby with knowedgable folks running it, even have many models on display with reasonable prices. But any such place worth it's salt can help you out. Oh, and I would not buy a used wood stove.

You say a small shop, so may be worth the effort to insulate, too. Material is not that much compared to long run savings. I did part of my garage, which is set off seperate for a shop, and then, being el cheapo that I am, hah, just used black plastic trash bags stabled onto the studs which to me looks better than the fiberglass backing with all the writing on it.

For my 3-car garage, I use both methods mentioned-- wood heating stove, and a 14,000-btu heater mounted atop a propane tank. The wood, I fire up if going to be in the garage for a long spell. It works great. And save the propane heater for shorter time jobs or when working near the cold floor, say under a tractor. (And yes, am very careful with open flammables, of course).

Hope this helps
    highsierra

Thanks for the comments. Our winters are bitter cold, so insulation may be a good option as well. I think we are leaning towards a wood stove where we already burn wood in the house too.