Thread: Unwashed Eggs

Unwashed Eggs

My mother-in-law has lots of laying hens. She says that, until you wash the eggs, it won't ruin. Is that true? She has hundreds and hundreds of unwashed eggs in a spare bedroom, that stay there until she's ready to use them, then she washed them and uses them.

I've never heard of that.

I never have either. It doesn't make sense to me; they'd eventually turn regardless of how clean the outer shell is. I think it's a good 45 days (maybe longer) before she'd have to worry about that though.

I don't know where she got that idea, but it isn't true.

Their is no way that could be true. They are good for about 2 months if kept refrigerated. A friend of mine sells them and that is what they suggest (use them up by the 2 month mark). A dozen don't usually last a week in my house though!

hard to say
    if you wash them immediatly after being found it opens the pores in the shell that let the air in, thus spoiling them
    but by no means does this mean that they would be able to be kept indefinatly if you dont wash them just longer.
    the best way to keep them, instead of the fridge is to wipe them with a cloth and then coat them in parafin wax (beewax would work too, maybe helthier but it has to be hot and it cooks the egg) and store in a cool dark place, my larder does the trick

I have never heard this before either and I would be afraid to use them. I always crack fresh eggs in a separate bowl anyways but still it would worry me.

Belle, I never had either, until she told me. But she has gobs and gobs of eggs in a spare bedroom, cool but unrefridgerated. I won't eat them. Even though I live in the country, I was raised in the city. I'll buy mine at the store.

If they were refrigerated I would eat them. Their is nothing better than farm fresh eggs. But I wouldn't keep them around for ever?! I would think they could only stay good a couple weeks or so.

Fresh eggs are generally very good, but eggs that are a week or two old will peel easier if you want hard boiled eggs for salads, deviled eggs, etc. I'm not sure how long they'll stay good in the refrigerator, but it's quite awhile. In fact, I bought a dozen eggs this morning at the grocery store; don't know how old they are now, but the carton is labelled to "sell" (not use, but "sell") by 2/17/11. I've no doubt they'd still be good after a month in the refrigerator and probably a lot longer. Like SouthernBelle, I always crack eggs into a separate bowl, so I could discard it if it were bad (and I've never found a bad one:laughing, but I do it more so that if I accidentally get a little piece of shell in the egg, I can get that shell out before putting the egg into a skillet or recipe.

You might find this worth reading: http://ucanr.org/freepubs/docs/8154.pdf

They do say to not wash eggs, and I found some other places that say the industry standard is to have a "sell by" date of 30 days after packing, and that the eggs, properly stored, should still be good another 4 or 5 weeks after that.

i crack all my eggs seperatly, i do most of the cooking at home ATM

sadly ive found a bad egg before, kinda put me off my lunch hahah, just cause we let the chooks do their things and somtimes an egg that has been sitting on will fall onto the floor and i just pick them up, usually i float test them all first