Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roast

Roast

I like to cook mine in the crock pot. I put the Lipton onions soup mix packet and some garlic powder, onion powder, and a few beef bullion cubes in it. Then add meat, potatoes, carrots, and a couple celery stalks. Set on low for about 6 hours and YUMMY!

Your recipe for roast sounds great. We do it very similar but instead of beef bullion cubes we add a can of cream of mushroom soup and sometimes we might add a couple packs of gravy mix to make it darker gravy and more flavor. Everything else we do the same and as you say it is YUMMY!

It does sound good but doesn't this boil the meat rather than roast it? I like a roast to have a crispy outside and that's the bit I like the best.

My wife has been doing roasts in the crockpot with the dry onion soup, potatoes and carrots, for years, but I don't know just what all else she puts in it. She used to use the Lipton onion soup, but I think she now uses Great Value (Walmart's house brand).

This sounds so good and I think this is how I am going to cook the roast I am making for dinner today. Thanks so much all of you for the recipe!

I would have never thought to put the onion mix or mushroom soup in mine! My hubby doesn't like onions or mushrooms so maybe I could try it and see if he will eat it as it sounds great to me!

I agree, I've never put onion mix in mine either. But I love the roast, potatoes, carrots and onions. Roast is probably one of the most easiest foods to cook. Just throw it all in a crock pot and let it cook.

I put mine in the slow cooker as well since I work until 6PM most days and I don't have the time after work to do it in the oven. I put onion soup mix, water, carrots, potatoes and beef soup base in mine though.

I wish I could make beef roasts, but nobody likes it at my house but me. We are strictly a chicken and pork family. I think I should have a few friends over to actually make one the way you guys describe it. What do you usually eat it with?

What do you usually eat it with?
    Since you have taters and carrots cooked with the roast (incidentally ours is usually beef, but we occasionally fix a pork roast the same way), you really don't need much with it, but I always prefer some cornbread, then usually some sliced tomato. Some green beans, blackeyed peas, or corn sure don't hurt anything. Any leftovers (meat and veggies) are diced and put in the crockpot the next day along with the broth from the roast, a can of tomato sauce, a can of V8 juice, and some mixed vegetables for homemade soup. Again, I'll have cornbread with mine, while my wife prefers crackers (saltines).