Thread: Electric or Gas Log Splitter?

Electric or Gas Log Splitter?

Have not been on this forum for some time.
    I need a log splitter but have some questions.
    In reading and talking with others it was mentioned that one should get a 20 ton or higher
    log splitter. I was looking at electric log splitters which would fit my needs very well but noticed that 20 ton splitters or higher cost about the same as gas. I would like to take the splitter into my basement which is why I was looking at the electric ones.
    Any one have any thoughts between gas and electric log splitters?
    I have purchased items from DR prior so looked at their site and found they have an electric log splitter but rated at only 5 ton. I like the heavy duty from DR but feel this may be light for my needs.
    I need to split wood that is larger than 10 inches (can split twice) and no longer than 20 inches.
    PJ

If, and a big if, your wood is well seasoned and dry the DR should split it ok. I doubt you would want a gas powered splitter in your basement.... think carbon monoxide poisioning. Have fun and stay safe....

We have a gas log splitter, but we do all of our splitting outside. We went with gas so that we could position it anywhere. It's also less costly to run. Maybe you could position it outside near your basement entrance.

Wanted to get back and share my experience with everyone concerning the purchase of an electric log splitter. I ended up buying a 5 ton splitter from DR. They had a sale going on which included free delivery.
    Arrived in good shape and tested right away.
    First let me say that it is very heavy and compact. I ended up making a platform for it which raises the unit up so as to keep the back from getting sore, works great.
    I had already separated out the pieces that were to large for the stove, more than 10 inches wide. I had about 30 to split when I began.
    Unit worked very well and split all 30 pieces,, some had to be split more than once as they were around 20 inches wide. I did notice that when the hyd. Fluid got very warm that it was a little slower which occurred at the very end.
    My wood is all dry, fir and pine that was beatle kill.
    PJ

We have a gas log splitter too. I like gas because we can take it where ever we want to. If you had an electric splitter you are stuck splitting where there is electricity. We actually take our splitter right into the woods with us. Every piece of wood is split prior to us bringing it home.

I agree that each has its place. I went with the electric as I have the wood delivered to my home. With the small size of the electric I can tip it on its legs and store in a corner of the garage.
    Also I only spent $400 delivered.
    PJ

I would never use a gas log splitter inside. I have a gas log splitter that works really well but I can attest that it will spit out fumes that could be dangerous in an enclosed space.

We have a Ryobi electric splitter, it works quite well for the amount we use every year. Nice for making kindling indoors during the winter months, too.

Sean

Well I heat with wood. I use about 11-12 cords each winter for my house and shop. I also have about 60 acres of forest. I have a splitter that connects to my tractor hydraulics. goes for about $700 and I do not have to maintain another engine (have already about 12 including vehicles). I do not need anymore oil, filters, spark plug changes.