Thread: Enforcing homework with parents ...

Enforcing homework with parents ...

I work at a school and the one thing I find unfair is when parents feel that they do not need to be involved at all with their children's school life. Teachers need parents to make sure that the child is doing their homework. Homework is there to help the child remember what they learned in school and to practice it so that those lessons get embedded in their minds. Parents are also handy for the child if they don't understand something and need help on their homework.

If teachers and parents could find a good balance of working together it would benefit so many children in their studies.

Does anyone disagree and feel that it is completely up to the teachers to enforce and take care of school lessons? If so, why?
    Nothing like good old fashioned home cookin .....

I agree wholeheartedly with your statement about finding balance.

I don't disagree about parents needing to reinforce what is being learned at school. But I do think that it is sort of a Catch-22 situation. Parents who are very involved often get treated by the teachers as if there is something wrong with them or as though they can't let go of their kids or as if they are just trying to tell the teachers what to do.

Honestly, I don't know what the answer is. I know that when my kids were in school, I was of the "too involved", by their standards, type.

When kids are in the school then parents should not interfere with the teaching process. But when the child is home already then that will be the time that parents will help in enforcing what the kid has learned at school through homework. The thing is some parents come home when their kids are already asleep.