Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking on Vacations

Cooking on Vacations

Do you cook when you are on vacations? I mean when you rent a house with a kitchen in which you can cook your own food? I haven't done this yet but I'm considering it because it could save us a lot of money while on vacation.

Who "gets" to cook? Who gets a "vacation"? Think about it. Yes it can save some money. We did a lot of RV vacations, back when. My wife finally decided she wanted a vacation too.......

We have rented self catering accommodation but we have limited the meal preparation to things like rolls and cheese/ham for breakfast and then had our other meals out in restaurants. I don't want to be cooking and washing up when I'm on holiday!

DW explained to me over 42 years ago that she did not cook on vacation. That is still our policy. occasionally we will buy food at a local store or grocery and have a picnic at a lovely spot.

Also, we don't care for the continental breakfasts that most motels serve for free. That is a case where you get what you pay for.

A big part of our fun on vacation is scouting out local reataurants. We try to stay away from the national chains as much as possible.

Yes we do! Well, I don't know if I would exactly call it real cooking because we usually just get simple things that take 10 minutes or so to make like Mac and Cheese or sandwich items. We will buy cereal and milk as well. We also get lots of snacks. I think it is a great way to save money on a trip because eating out more than three times a day drains the bank. Plus, when we buy food to make at the place we are staying at, then we don't gain as much weight on the vacation. We will still eat out for usually one meal a day because it is a vacation and that is part of the fun!
    Nothing like good old fashioned home cookin .....

I cook on vacation, simply because I enjoy cooking. I cook almost everyday, so it would probably throw me off if I stopped cooking for a few days. Granted, I don't cook extremely difficult things while on vacation.

We go away each year to the beach and we do cook (not every night though). We always rent a house and then stock the kitchen. It's cheaper to cook some meals, eating out every meal is outrageous! If we rent a hotel then we don't cook.

beenfive
    Foods with softer cell walls are the most vulnerable to being damaged while frozen and while unthawing: that's why leafy green veggies aren't so easy to work with. With meat, you have a few options.

The vast majority of our vacations were either backpacking or in a camper which typically means you fix your own food most of the time. Last year we went to Kauai for our nieces wedding and cooked some of our meals in the condo we rented and ate out half or more of the time. Niece used to be a vegetarian but now eats limited portions of fish, fowl, pork, and beef so some of our eating out with her was still quite healthy. OK, except for the visits to a local ICE CREAM FACTORY.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Actually we like the motel breakfast in the motel chain that we usually stay with while we are on vacation. We try to have a big breakfast and then a minumum lunch on the road, and quit early enough to dine out in an interesting place. As far as cooking, heck, we don't do that good a job while we're home.
    CJDave