Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most Commonly Used Flavored Spice

Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning is my all time number 1 seasoning. I use it on just about everything. I especially like it on my baked chicken; just season the whole chicken inside and out, place breast down and bake at 375 for 70 minutes, rest for 10 minutes and then carve. Best chicken ever and the only way my family wants me to fix chicken anymore, it even beats fried chicken......well mostly.
    2008 F-250 V-10 Loaded
    2007 Lincoln LT grocery getter
    2007 Kubota RTV 900
    1996 Ford Bronco

Chili or other hot pepper: we use that a lot. Red pepper flakes, too. But I use a lot of spices: for instance, I now use a dry rub of cayenne, paprika, cumin, turmeric, and black pepper on ham (for several hours, then finish with a brownsugar/ mustard glaze.) I also use herbs: rosemary, oregano, basil, sage, thyme, various mixes of herbs (Herbes de Provence is great on pork, for instance, and the main-line Italian blends are good for many things.) Parsley, of course.

Then, onion and garlic in many things. Chopped red, green, or yellow bell peppers. If the goal is to reduce salt, then varying the other flavors is a good idea, so you don't get tired of what you're using (ask me about tarragon, formerly a pet herb...I'm still wary of it, decades after the overuse period.) The hotter, stronger spices (cumin, turmeric--but be careful, and the various peppers, either fresh or as dried powders) do help eliminate the "flat" flavor of salt-free or nearly-salt-free foods. We've also used Morton's Lite-Salt (only half the sodium; the other half is potassium chloride) to cut down on sodium, as well as providing a necessary electrolyte in summer when sweating heavily.

I don't think I could narrow it down to just one, but I love cajun cookin' and guess may cayenne (red) pepper would be at or near the top. In fact, this is interesting timing, because I just sat down here after mixing my own dry rub to put on a brisket tonight:
    2 parts Garlic Powder
    2 parts Paprika
    1 part Cayenne
    3 parts Salt
    3 parts Brown Sugar
    1 part Cumin
    1 part Chili Powder

Administrator
    I too am a garlic fanatic. I even eat raw ones on occasion to cure my sicknesses (but only when I won't be socializing, because the smell on your breath can be horrific). Just last night I made a chicken curry dish using all these wonderful spices: Turmeric (curry), garlic, fresh onions, basil, red chilli pepper, coriander, and cumin. Cumin is delish. Cilantro is another favorite. Dill...I could go on and on.

There are so many things you can do with herbs and they're so great for your health! Has anyone here ever studied herbology?

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    I don't think I could narrow it down to just one, but I love cajun cookin' and guess may cayenne (red) pepper would be at or near the top. In fact, this is interesting timing, because I just sat down here after mixing my own dry rub to put on a brisket tonight:
    2 parts Garlic Powder
    2 parts Paprika
    1 part Cayenne
    3 parts Salt
    3 parts Brown Sugar
    1 part Cumin
    1 part Chili Powder
    Sounds good Bird; here's my mix for pork and chicken:

2 Tbsp Paprika
    1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Black pepper
    1 Tbsp granulated Garlic
    1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp Chipotle Powder
    1 tsp Salt

Love it on babybacks. As for our favorite spice; we have a whole cabinet full. Use lots of garlic, Nature's Seasoning, and Lemon Pepper.