Thread: Flags at half-staff

Flags at half-staff

OK, this may be too controversial for a friendly forum, and the moderators may remove my post, but here goes: I sent the following e-mail to my state representative.

I am working under the assumption that KVUE-TV, Austin, Texas, during its 5:00 PM newscast on April 17th, reported that State buildings will have their flags flown at half-staff in memory of the students murdered in Virginia.

It was a terribly regrettable situation, and mere words cannot convey my emotion. My emotions, however, are moved in another, opposite direction when I hear that Texas state buildings will lower their flags in response to that event.

The action of lowering the flags to half-staff has traditionally been reserved as a sign of respect for a fallen head of state-- the President of the United States or the Governor. The shooting at Virginia Tech is a tragedy, but does not warrant Texas' flag salute.

Every day, members of our military die in service to their country. Do we lower the flag for them? Many innocent people die as the result of drunken drivers; do we dip the flag in their honor? What about the brave souls that finally lose their battle with cancer; again, should we lower our flags? Where will it end? Should we drop our flags when someone's precious parakeet passes on? Please forgive my facetious tone.

The lowering of the flag will no longer be the statement of which it is deserving when we use this action for any sad event in our country. Please preserve this traditional salute reserved for those leaders who deserve our recognition when their government service comes to an end.

Re: Flags at half-staff

Jazz, When you are right you are right. Watering down our customs is yet another step down the slippery slope. Susan Sarandon would have us flying all the nation's flags at half mast because animals are killed to be eaten.

There are so many tragic deaths deserving of the same level of emotion or more so. Troops are dying in service of their country which is far more deserving than random victims used for targets by an insane person. We are headed toward PERMANENTLY flying all American flags at half mast since there is always some innocent somewhere that was inappropriately killed.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I agree with both of you. While the Virginia Tech shootings was a horrible tragedy, it did not warrant flying the flag at half staff. Doing so for events like Virginia Tech does, indeed, water down the traditional meaning. It should be stopped.

I'd like to know what response you get from your state representative.

It was a tragedy that is for sure. I have to agree though, every day soldiers are giving their lives for our Great Country. The flag should always be at half-staff. My brother is a soldier, he has served for 20 years in the US Army - he is retiring in Nov He has gone to Iraq 2 times and to Desert Storm too. I'm thankful he made it home each and every time. There are many that did not.

I agree with the rest of you. Sure, it was a tragedy, but it's not something that we should be flying the flag at half-staff for. Who made that decision? Someone needs to explain to that person(s) what flying the flag at half staff is for, and NOT for.

I'm in agreement here too. I think it's crazy to pick and choose what qualifies as a tragedy and what doesn't. Why can't flags be at half-staff until this war is over? That would make a lot of sense to me.

There was no response from my elected official. Should I be surprised?

No and I think you waited long enough...