Thread: Homeschooling

Homeschooling

I'm considering homeschooling my son, but I am not sure where to begin. I am already a stay-at-home Mom, so staying at home to teach wouldn't be an issue. The only thing I am really worried about is that he may not have so many opportunities to socialize with other kids. For those of you that homeschool, what are some things that I could do to get him to socialize with other children?

There are a lot of good commentaries online about socializing for homeschoolers. You may want to check out some of the great homeschoolers' blogs out there!

Most homeschoolers end up finding out that opportunities for their kids to socialize are so abundant, they have to figure out how to narrow down their choices. We've always just made friends the usual way and never had any trouble with that. Some people rely on joining groups. There are homeschool groups of all different styles. Your kids can do scouting, 4-H, youth groups (as they get older). When they are older they can do internships and they can even form meet-up groups, etc.

For some reason people always assume it's difficult, but I've never found it to be so. I prefer the kind of socialization my children get by having friends across the age spectrum, and from all different backgrounds. I like being with them enough that I can model how a good friend behaves.

Thanks, linny! These are some great suggestions. It seems really overwhelming looking into it. I just moved out to this area too, so I don't know a lot of people yet; but this may be a good way for the family to make some friends too.

Well, this is our first year to home school, and so far, we really enjoy it. I have not found an issue with socialization. We live in a small town and we are part of a small home school group. We find many opportunities to socialize with them. We enjoy field trips, movies, and park days. My oldest also takes piano lessons outside our home. So, I am sure that really will be a non-issue with you as soon as you start! Good luck!

Alisha2
    You can organize some gathering and can go for movie and can do the lots of more same activities like this... I don't think so then any problem can be there.

sadmemories20
    We've always just made friends the usual way and never had any trouble with that. Some people rely on joining groups. There are homeschool groups of all different styles. Your kids can do scouting, 4-H, youth groups (as they get older).

Schooling you children, we think, is a must. For the most part children are not that safe at school. I've worked for the school district, what children do to other children and their property, if they were adults did that they would go to prison.
    Children are taught things, lifestyles, actions and beliefs are acceptable even desirable that you may not agree with and many who now teach are no longer savory.
    The idea that is pushed: children must have interaction with people your family doesn't know to be well rounded was not true for most of the great people in history and today as well.

We have taught our children from day one until today they are 10 and 14 through a school in Australia. It is not cheap or easy. You will be discouraged from doing it, the union is dead set against it. But your children will learn better, faster and more. Your child or children will have a different, larger respect for you.

Our children have many animals, they supply the family with milk, eggs and protein. They never having attended public school, never learned what music or movies or clothes they must have, we wish we could have had what they have in this way.

The very best of luck to you and your loved ones, you'll make the best choice.