Thread: Egg Shells in Smoothies

Egg Shells in Smoothies

Egg shells are rich in calcium so sometimes I experiment on including it in my smoothie. The smoothie will turn into course substance because of the shells but I think of the calcium that it provides.

When I kept chickens I used to feed them the ground up shells but I'm not so sure about eating them myself, after all they have come out of a chicken's inside and are often covered in chicken poop!

I have no idea whether you digest the egg shells and get any nutritional value from them, but about 50 years ago when we got our first blender, I experimented with putting a whole raw egg in milkshakes a couple of times. No matter how much I "blended" it, the milkshake tasted like it had a little sand in it. So I decided that was not a good idea for me.:laughing:

I've never heard of having egg shells in smoothies. How does it taste? I am also afraid of the chicken poop despite cleaning and washing the shell.

Quote Originally Posted by brooke View Post
    I've never heard of having egg shells in smoothies. How does it taste? I am also afraid of the chicken poop despite cleaning and washing the shell.
    If you're not concerned about the contents inside the shell, I don't know why you'd worry about the outside if it's been washed.:laughing: