Thread: Half Days

Half Days

I have found out that lately most schools have a lot more so called half days than before. How do you handle this? Does your boss lets you take the day off, or do you have to hire a babysitter for this? Do you have family that lends you a hand?

I have pulled my kids out and started to home school them. I used to get a baby sitter for half days and sick days. With no raises at work, the rising cost of gas and childcare it is cheaper for me to stay at home and try to do contract work and odd jobs in my spare time.

I always wondered how people do that. Where I live, the schools have early release on Wednesdays. Not only that, but there are days off all the time. How do people handle that?

The school in our neighborhood is getting out 3 hours early next Wednesday, and the school still hasn't sent out an official memo. My neighbor was telling me about this, her kid told her and she called the school and confirmed. They said they will send out a memo on Monday. That gives parents a day and a half to figure out what to do.

I am glad I homeschool.

I wish I had the patience to home school, but as it is I struggle when helping them with homework. Our school just informed us that they will offer a sitting service for the half days. For $25 per kid, they will keep the kids from 12:30 TO 5:30 pm. They will give them a snack and will have 3 tracks (one movie, one home work, one crafts and sports). The price seems fair enough.