Thread: Best Shop Vacuum

Best Shop Vacuum

My husband wants a vacuum for his shop for his birthday, I am not looking to spend no more that $150 but I don't know which one is best. I am looking at a Shop Vac, the stainless steel model, but are there other good ones?

I'm not sure there's enough difference in the brands to really matter. And I guess stainless steel may be good, but why? When I lived in the country with a 40 x 60 shop, I had a Shop Vac brand and liked it OK. I sold it in a garage sale when I had to move back to town in an apartment temporarily. I now have a 12 gallon Craftsman that meets all my needs. It's only about 5.5 years old right now. I have a son-in-law who is a serious woodworker; used to be in the business and he has a 16 gallon Ridgid. I do know that generally the bigger they are the stronger the suction. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of those brands, but those are all plastic. I'm sure that stainless steel model you're considering is a good one, but personally, I wouldn't pay that for shop vac of any kind.

We have a couple of shop-vacs and they work great. I don't think they are anything special (actually bought them both on Black Friday) so they were pretty cheap. I like them because they are wet/dry vacs. My dad has a ridgid and he says it is great too.

I personally would rather have a couple small ones than one big one. I keep one in the house and one in the shop. They are only 4-5 gallons, wet dry.
    That's what works for me

Thanks for the comments, folks. My husband only has a small hobby shop so nothing big. It just so happens this particular one has got 2 hoses and some good attachments, some of the others had to buy optional attachments. We were looking at a King too, but it has less accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by monnie31 View Post
    Thanks for the comments, folks. My husband only has a small hobby shop so nothing big. It just so happens this particular one has got 2 hoses and some good attachments, some of the others had to buy optional attachments. We were looking at a King too, but it has less accessories.
    Yep, my 12 gallon Craftsman came with the big diameter hose and tools. I'm sure they're good for a lot of purposes, but I bought the "car cleaning" kit which is an 11' hose of the same size as household vacuums. I never use the big stuff anymore.

I am not sure which he will prefer, I am sure he will decide once he gets it and starts using it. Right now there is a ton of dust in his shop.