Thread: Fire Ants

Fire Ants

Spring is finally arriving! Yeah! But not so great is the finding of fire ants in the pasture. It really makes it hard to treat them when you have horses in the field, have to be so careful what to put down. I tried this method and am happy to say that so far it is working. I purchase the biggest no name brand of white vinegar I can find. Then I watch the anthill. They are very creative, and usually have two entrances to their colony. I pour the vinegar around the outer edge of the colony, then pour some down the main tunnel. Wait a few moments, and the ants come streaming out. Then you keep pouring a good amount of vinegar down the main entrance until the ants coming out slows down. At first the grass in this area turns brown, and the horses seem to stay away. After a few rains, this grass area does seem to come back. You may need to retreat the area over the next few days, but I have seen the guards come out to find out where the worker ants have gone. This signals the end of the colony. Your field may have the aroma that you just made dozens of dyed Easter Eggs though. :laughing:

This is a great solution! Thank you for posting. I hate putting chemicals on my land, but I also am sensitive to fire ants. Every time I get bit, I have a worse reaction. It's to where I will get one bite and the hive is wider then a baseball for days afterward.

I am definitely going to try this trick. Vinegar is good for everything, isn't it?

Fire ants are my nemisis. I hate fire ants.

Vinegar certainly seems to be a cure all for everything. I shall have to try this remedy to stop ants damaging the roots of the pot plants that I have on the terrace - they seem to like the new growth undergrouand at this time of year - and especially in my warm and sheltered pots !

I'm going to try this too! It's kinder to the earth and less expensive than the fire ant killer I usually buy in the store. I detest fire ants and am dealing with a huge bite on my foot now.

I ended up having to use boric acid on some fire ant's last year. I really like the idea of using vinegar. So far no sign of them, but if they come back I will be ready for them!

Ants do not like mint, so I grow as much mint as possible around the perimeter of the house and set up potted one's in other areas. I make a vinegar and mint solution and spray it on their paths to get rid of the scent.

Big red ants will not cohabit with fire ants. The big red ants will destroy a fire ant colony, immediately warring with them. The big reds used to "scare" me and I have childhood memories of the welts they gave me (shouldn't sit down on their nest.)

A totally natural solution for fire ants is to introduce the big red ants. The big red ants have become my new best friends. I have 3 big colonies that I know of and they are NOT TO BE MOLESTED.

Here is a link to info on the big red ants

Red Ant - Natural Organic Home Garden Health Howard Garrett Dirt Doctor

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Quote Originally Posted by LouLou View Post
    Ants do not like mint, so I grow as much mint as possible around the perimeter of the house and set up potted one's in other areas. I make a vinegar and mint solution and spray it on their paths to get rid of the scent.
    great advice, thank you very much LouLou. I hate them very much, there are alot of them around my house. Think i should grow some mint.

I use grits they take it eat it and they blow up i use it in the six mile pic n pac produce farm and it works