Thread: Knitted Heirloom Blankets - could it be a business ?

Knitted Heirloom Blankets - could it be a business ?

Over the last eighteen months I have knitted 5 heirloom blankets for new babies of friends. I'm now getting people asking me to make blankets for them (for babies/families that I don't know.) They have offered to pay for the materials. However, each blanket takes about 70 hours of work - should I charge for my time ?

I would absolutely charge something for your time. I think anyone would understand that. I would probably figure out what your materials usually run, add your flat fee and just keep each blanket at that set price. That way they don't know the breakdown.

Moley, I know the feeling. I always have a problem trying to charge for my work. If we really charge for the actual work, let say $5 per hour, you would have to charge around $350. If you charge $70, then you feel that your work is only worth $1 an hour which stinks. If it is a baby blanket, but depending on how big it is. I would charge from $70 to $100. Also taking in consideration the money you spent on materials.

Keeper12 and Chiquita - thank you both for your comments and advice. I shall take it all on board. I think that maybe up to 4 paid orders each year might work. I can't see knitting such items could be a good business - most people don't realise the real value of such carefully handmade goods - you are right, Chiquita, when you say the right price for my time would give each blanket a value of around $350 !