Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letting someone else driving your car?

Letting someone else driving your car?

Do you lend your car to someone else? I don't lend my car to anyone. I wouldn't feel comfortable to see someone else driving my car. Though, I am not sure I could say NO if a close friend of mine asked for it.

I've generally been opposed to loaning (or borrowing) any motor vehicle. However, I have loaned our little pickup truck to our grown daughters and a son-in-law. And I did allow a neighbor one day to use it when they were moving.

I don't like to loan my motor vehicle(s). I do for family as long as the insurance will cover them. I loaned a stock trailer a while back. I worried about it until the neighbor returned it. He left it as clean as he found it, which was a condition of using it. Have fun and stay safe......

However, I always offer someone in need to drive him (instead of letting him drive my car).

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    I've generally been opposed to loaning (or borrowing) any motor vehicle.
    I don't like to borrow someone's vehicle also unless I really needed it and I had no other alternatives (using public transport or renting a car).

I do not mind lending someone my car. I would have to trust them, and know what kind of driver they are first. If I know they drive well, and have insurance they can use my car anytime.

I have a lot of tools and a flatbed car trailer. I asked a friend one day if he knew how to back a trailer. He said yes and jack-knifed my empty boat trailer near the launch ramp. I now say that anyone can borrow my car, truck, trailer, etc. with one stipulation: They get me with it. I will tow or drive them wherever they need to go and help them with the project. My stuff is not abused and they get a helper (driver). It generally boils down to how bad they need the item.

I generally don't let others drive my car, unless we are close and I know he/she is a good driver. I generally prefer to drive them myself if it's convenient, so I don't have to worry about lack of insurance coverage if there is an accident.

I hate loaning my vehicles to anyone, I always worry it won't come back or will come back broken. I am hard enough on them, they don't need help from someone else.

I don't like to lend my vehicle out, either. I worry about insurance or hurting a friendship if something goes wrong.

It makes me uncomfortable when a friend asks me to drive their vehicle. I've had friends who didn't prefer driving ask me to take the wheel for a long trip. I don't mind driving, but I'm surprised that other people are so comfortable with asking someone else to drive their vehicle!

It makes me uncomfortable when a friend asks me to drive their vehicle.
    I mentioned above allowing a neighbor to use my pickup when moving. He is an airline pilot and they have 2 small children. I think 3 times they've asked me to take her and the kids to the airport in their mini-van with the child seats for the kids, and then bring their van back home. And when we had snow and ice on the roads, another neighbor asked my wife to ask me if I'd take her to the grocery store in their SUV which she already had running and warming up. So it's not really unusual for me to drive other peoples' vehicles, but I can't say I really like to.