Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you grocery shop?

I don't mind grocery shopping. We do two big trips twice a month and then go once a week for refills on things, such as milk, bread, and fruit. I wish we had room for an extra freezer to stock up on deals on meat and other foods. I live in an apartment and have no where to put on.

I love to grocery shop and usually go once every two weeks. My husband refuses to go with me since I go down every aisle, even if I don't intend to purchase the items in it. Grocery shopping is therapeutic for me.

ShirleyJean

I make a habit of grocery shopping once every two weeks. Trying to do just one grocery trip once a month but I fail when I look at my fridge in the third week of the month. Most of my frozen items are from farmer's markets, usually stock-up on out of season fruits and vegetables. It hard when your favorite food is on sell on you have coupons to cut the cost. And the day of week when your local grocery store does markdowns, so hard. Lately, I have been able to stay stocked and reduce shopping in half.

We do the bulk staple shopping once a month and get fillers once a week. We try not to go more often than that, and are teaching the kids to be creative when planning dinner on their nights to cook. We've also cut down our grocery bill a little by making Thursdays "fendfor" night. As in, "fend for yourself- no one's cooking". That way leftovers don't go to waste either.

A friend of mine (we run cattle together) recently built and opened a vegetable/fruit market in the corner of his highway frontage. He notes some customers come in several times a week to buy one or two tomatoes or potatoes or whatever. He suspects their mindset is that they are buying fresh when in fact they may be buying from the same pile of stuff all week and may as well save the extra trips and buy a weeks worth at a time.

We try to shop weekly with longer intervals being good for non-perishables but typically we do food shopping about once a week.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper12 View Post
    I try to grocery shop as little as possible. I have a chest freezer, so between that and my own veggies I can usually get away with only shopping once a month, other than stopping in for milk.
    Wow, impressive!

I go about every other week... I can stretch it a little more if i want to but I don't because I like to eat fresh food not just non-perishables. I wish I had my own garden like some of you!

My wife and two children still living at home work off the farm and pick up most of our needs during the week, I still work the farm and normally get to town once a week - Church and large shopping on Sunday
    Buck
    My tractor is not a toy, its one of many tools of the trade