Thread: Silverfish

Silverfish

How do you get rid of silverfish? We don't have a horrible infestation, but I see them inside the house pretty regularly and other than just killing one at a time, don't know what to do about them.

I hate silver fish. Mostly because sometimes people think they are roaches. I know these are silver fish, and to me look nothing like roaches. Either way I get boric acid and put it in the corners, around windows, and behind furniture. Seems to do the trick.

My grannie told me to use cucumber peelings to repel silverfish. It's inexpensive and you can change the strips regularly once they dry out. I usually wash cucumbers and eat the skin - but the peelings for this purpose should be a little thicker than you would normally peel a cucumber. Then put 2 or more strips of cucumber skin where you have an infestation - also in any damp places. It works for me.

Also, silverfish enter a house from the garden - if you have hollyhocks and "bridal wreath" you might want to get rid of them as they are major attractions for silverfish.

No, I don't have either plant. Silverfish are very common here in FL and look nothing like roaches to me either! I will probably try the cucumber trick so I don't have to worry about my toddler ingesting boric acid.

Silverfish... ARGH!!!! Amongst other things they just love paper. When I opened a box I had stored, there were no silverfish, but they left their calling card. There were directions I needed, and it looked like someone made paper cut outs wth them! As pretty as it was, I was still angry that now I could not read the directions! Thanks for the information on the peelings. Will have to give it a try.

Lead Generation
    I think that you should move to have a tortoise in that tank . by this it can get rid of the silverfish.