I cook almost every day. We rarely eat out. (Correction: on choir practice nights we may grab something fast in the city, 50 miles away, where we sing. Or we may take a sandwich from home.)

I don't "plan" meals, really. I did that when I was a young wife, but now...it's automatic. I make chicken, beef, and lamb stock as well as soups and stews in large batches, so a fast supper (we worked late; we're hungry and tired) means choosing between a quick new soup (quart of stock, packet of frozen meat chunks--beef, turkey, chicken, or ham--rice or barley or pasta, can of Ro-tel, maybe can of black or red beans), an existing soup (ham & bean, beef vegetable), an existing stew-type thing (could be straight stew or a curry.) Once a week (sometimes twice--if we have company) I cook a biggish chunk of meat of some kind, and then it's leftovers from that for awhile.

In season, we use what's in the garden; we grow and sometimes home process most of our meat (always the lamb, sometimes the beef though that's a much bigger job.)