Thread: How often do you cook supper at home?

How often do you cook supper at home?

I was just curious how often you all cook supper, (some call it dinner ), at home. With everyone's busy schedules, I think it is hard to actually sit down, plan a meal, and cook it for your family. And, it seems that everyone, even in my small town, eats out every night of the week, not just the weekends. I enjoy cooking, but lately, I have just found it hard to get it done. What about you?

We cook dinner at home 7 days a week and almost never eat out. Although, both my husband and I love to cook and it does not take long for us to make up several dishes.

I cook breakfast, lunch and dinner at home every day. I would love to eat out more, but there aren't many options around us. We try to go out at least once a month though, I cherish those days!

I don't worry too much about planning dinner, but I do cook at home as much as possible because I eat out a lot as I travel for work. It's funny how that works.... I used to love to eat out, but now I'd much rather have a fresh home made meal any day of the week.

When we are at home we usually eat at home and not go out. We do enjoy eating out when we do but don't do it very often. In 11 years we took two vacations and on the last one I gained 19 pounds. The weight is gone now as I am back to my new normal weight of 205-210 (down from my long term 263) Eating out makes maintaining my weight harder since the calorie and sodium values of restaurant food are typically SKY HIGH and portion sizes typically huge, especially here in Oklahoma where overeating is an art form.

I cook about 75-95% of the suppers as my wife acknowledges that I am the better cook, faster, more variety, and healthier.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I cook almost every day. We rarely eat out. (Correction: on choir practice nights we may grab something fast in the city, 50 miles away, where we sing. Or we may take a sandwich from home.)

I don't "plan" meals, really. I did that when I was a young wife, but now...it's automatic. I make chicken, beef, and lamb stock as well as soups and stews in large batches, so a fast supper (we worked late; we're hungry and tired) means choosing between a quick new soup (quart of stock, packet of frozen meat chunks--beef, turkey, chicken, or ham--rice or barley or pasta, can of Ro-tel, maybe can of black or red beans), an existing soup (ham & bean, beef vegetable), an existing stew-type thing (could be straight stew or a curry.) Once a week (sometimes twice--if we have company) I cook a biggish chunk of meat of some kind, and then it's leftovers from that for awhile.

In season, we use what's in the garden; we grow and sometimes home process most of our meat (always the lamb, sometimes the beef though that's a much bigger job.)