Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meatloaf Topping

Meatloaf Topping

When you bake a meatloaf in the oven, do you cover yours with ketchup or stewed or diced tomatoes. My momma used to do hers with diced tomatoes and that meatloaf tasted so good! My wife makes it with ketchup, which doesn't taste as good to me.

I've had meatloaf with ketchup and with tomato sauce, but I much prefer it without any tomato topping.

My husband does his with tomatoes and a "special sauce" as he calls it, it always turns out good. He is the king of meatloaf, I can't make them very well at all.

I love it with ketchup, unfortunately my significant other does not like anything on top. I make it with nothing and then I put ketchup on mine when I plate it up.

Do you ever order meatloaf in restaurants? There are so many ways to make a meatloaf; i.e., so many recipes that I never order meatloaf in restaurants because I don't know what I'd get. But I do like meatloaf my wife or I make at home; both freshly baked and sandwiches with the leftovers.

I like mine with ketchup. My mom does it with honey BBQ sauce. My best friend does it with cheese on top. I think everybody should be able to enjoy it just the way they like it.

Ketchup on top but afterwards my mom always made a "sauce" using a can of undiluted tomato soup with 1 teaspoon of Worchester heated and spooned over the meatloaf. In fact, my Mom's meatloaf is the best recipe I've ever tasted and here it is.

Jane’s Meatloaf

2 lbs lean ground meat (beef or wild game)
    1 large onion chopped
    2 eggs
    4 generous shakes of Worchester sauce
    4 generous shakes of Lowry’s seasoned garlic salt
    1 large Idaho russet potato grated
    1 capful liquid smoke
    1-1/2 cups corn flakes or Total cereal
    ¼ cup milk to moisten if needed

Mix all ingredients WELL and form into loaf. Cover with catsup and garnish with green pepper rings. Bake at 375 for 1-1/2 hours. Serve with a heated can of UNDILUTED tomato soup with 1 teaspoon Worchester sauce and pour over sliced meat loaf. Makes great next day sandwiches if there’s any left over.
    2008 F-250 V-10 Loaded
    2007 Lincoln LT grocery getter
    2007 Kubota RTV 900
    1996 Ford Bronco

I agree. There is such a wide variety of meatloaf cooking variations seems like no two are alike. The one I prepare for my family is basic, but it is served with gravy added. Always moist and a family favorite.

My favorite is to shake Parmesan cheese on top. It bakes a delicious crust. Mmmmm! I mix some into the meat with the other ingredients, too.

I like to make my meatloaf with a mixture of ground beef and ground chicken. It's a little leaner, but still juicy, and the flavor is surprisingly better, I think.

We put ketchup on our meatloaf before we bake it. I let my daughter do it, she always makes a smiley face on 1 loaf and spells her name on the other loaf. It's really cute. My moms uses tomato soup on her meatloaf. My mother in law uses BBQ sauce (gross).