Thread: GPS or Not?

GPS or Not?

It seems as through all new car models in the past four years have a GPS installed by default. I understand the need to have one for travel to unknown areas that you live in. Just buying a portable one would be more cost effective. People have advised never to have a GPS installed because of car theft. I decided not to have one added to my Kia Sorento 2010. Even through I get lost while driving, wouldn't use one if I had it. Do you use a GPS? Or had one added to your vehicle?

I bought a GPS a few years ago when we were planning to move out of state to help us get around. I think I've used it twice to find a specific location. My wife hates it. Having one installed permanently in your car dash seems foolhardy. None of these things are made to last forever and if the software provider is changed you're out of luck. The next time we travel I'll take it along "just in case".

I don't have a GPS and never used one.

Using one can get confusing sometimes. I've found in the few times I used mine that it requires me to multi-task in a hurry and I get flustered. A few times I relied on my own judgement rather than the voice coming at me and did just as well. If I relay on my own wits I have a better idea of where I am and don't get tied down to technology that's not always right.

As an example, the very first time I tried it I drove south on a state highway from my house. Just before a traffic light I was told to exit and turn left. This brought me to the traffic light from the side road where I was told to turn right back onto the highway. That taught me very quickly not to take everything as gospel.

I have used a Magellon GPS road atlas for 5 years and wouldn't leave home without it. Best thing since sliced bread. I use it to find personal addresses, resturants, FedX-UPS shops, US Mail PO's, you name it. Saves me untold time and frustration. We went on 6,000 RV trip from Idaho to Florida and back, using "Maggie" for the entire route. Couldn't have done that trip without her.

Pap
    2008 F-250 V-10 Loaded
    2007 Lincoln LT grocery getter
    2007 Kubota RTV 900
    1996 Ford Bronco

I have installed in all my cars and its working great for me its easy to navigate where i wanted to go and easy to find locations. I am enjoying it....