Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of food

Question Cost of food

Is it only me, or is the cost of food at the grocery store rising? It seems that our family does not get as much as we use to for the money we spend. I have came to the place that I really do not enjoy shopping any more. Does anyone else see this happening?

Oh, it's definitely rising. While a few pennies on a pound of bananas or a can of corn doesn't look like much by itself, the fact of the matter is that the percentage by which food prices are increasing is scary.

I have definitely seen a rise in food prices. It seems like even when there is a sale, I'm still paying more then usual. It's scary to think that it may get worse. I honestly don't know what my family would do if they did.

Just come from the grocery store about three hours ago. A can of lentil vegetable soup I usually get is $2.17 from $1.82. The price hiking is understandable. It just makes me more conscious of the money I spend. Gives me a chance to be a smarter shopper but I don't want the prices to go any higher. Coupons and buying local can only help so much with the monthly food bill.

It may be "greed" or it may be because the price of corn went thru the roof, due to converting it to fuel additive. It will only get worse. Converting food to fuel.... Who thought that one up? Corn products are used in more than you realize. Everything has to go up to cover the higher corn costs. From feed for animals to feed for humans...... Get used to it.

I was just reading a news article yesterday in which the author talked of all the different factors that affect the price of food and he claimed the use of corn to make ethanol has very little to do with it. I'll let you decide for yourself what to believe because I sure don't have any proof one way or the other. Incidentally, I guess some of the grocery chains are starting another "milk war". I went to Walmart this morning for milk. My wife and I use so little milk that we may not even use up a half gallon before it sours. I do not buy any of that low fat, skimmed, etc. milk; whole milk only. And this morniing a gallon with an expiration date of 4/17/11 was $2.19 while a half gallon of the same thing with an expiration date of 4/15/11 was $2.85. Makes no sense at all to me. I always hated to see anything wasted, but it's considerably cheaper for me to buy a gallon, knowing at least half of it will be poured down the drain than to buy a half gallon.

In Canada the food prices are rising too. In less than three weeks the store that I work at has seen a twenty cent increase on a "standard" loaf of white bread. A dozen eggs have gone up at the same rate. 4 liters of milk (a little over a gallon) for a mid-range fat content is very close to $6 now, and the more the fat, the higher the price. Meat has gone up as well. and while coffee-shop coffee doesn't really count as food (it *is* a luxury after all), it too is going up. A 2 pound container of ground coffee is almost $7 Cdn. Our gas prices work out so that if you could buy one liter in the U.S, you would be paying nearly $5 for one liter. Quick, rough conversion... approximately $4.90 for a gallon of gas.
    This is the excuse offered up by stores, their suppliers, the shippers, and on up the chain.
    Now is the time to do what we can. Grow our own vegetables or herbs. Take a hard look at our grocery bills and start considering what we can do without. My own family has cut down their weekly consumption of Coca-Cola from 8-9 bottles a week to roughly 4 bottles. We substituted with homemade iced tea.
    it's things like this that will help us in the long run.
    Just one idea in a sea of many possibilities.

Alisha2
    Yes, the same happens to us also, day by day the prices are rising very much. And We are finding difficulties in completing our daily needs.

I have alot of thoughts on this subject...and honestly I don't like any of the answers that come to mind. Keep in mind that I don't truly trust any government, religion, or mainstream media outlet.

I guess the simple answer..here in the US is that everything is shipped by trucks and I can assure you the trucking industry has no intention of absorbing the rising fuel costs.

Maybe because a crisis such as a food shortage in the US becomes a national security situation..then FEMA gets involved and a population control protocol is activated.

Maybe it's because such a small percentage of the population owns such a high percentage of the wealth that they can afford a 50 dollar gallon of milk or water.

If all you have to do is feed the slaves.....

Why has the government paid farmers not to grow corn for so long? And now we will have a shortage? Go Figure.

Why are fuel costs so high? Why do we have to fight in the Middle East? We have enough fuel here to run this country. Why are foreign companies drilling our waters while we have to drill in other countries?

Ever see the last of the omen movies..The Final Conflict?

Bow or Starve...now that's a scary thought.

Carolyn, my daughter used to live in Ontario. We'd visit every year and one thing I could never figure out was that although a lot of our beef in the states comes from Canada, that same beef bought in Canada cost a whole lot more. We'd buy our food here and take it with us, saved a lot.

One way that food prices are going up without much notice is that a lot of container sizes are shrinking. A half gallon of ice cream is really 1 1/2 qts. I believe one brand in our area is 1.75 qts. Canned goods seem to be going the same way.

My wife always buys ahead and buys whatever's on sale. She also buys a lot of store brands. We're fortunate to have several chain stores to choose from. One chain will have less expensive cleaning goods, eggs and milk but the other has less expensive meats and produce, etc. They're very close to each other so she'll break out her shopping list by store. We're not picky eaters and there's not much we won't eat so that makes it easier to shop.