Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost of food

A couple of Possible Solutions

This has been such an interesting thread....

Lately I've been learning more about Monsanto, and their reach up here to Canada, and how they could affect my efforts to save seed, not to mention how many types of seed are no longer available to buy BECAUSE of Monsanto. Lobbyists, interest groups, politics... they should all stay out of our food! The government is directly and indirectly responsible for the price of your food, because they are the ones driving the price of gas as high as it is (ever figure out how much of the at-pump price is taxes?). So my answer to this is to grow food at home. Well, this isn't the answer for everyone, I recognize that. I live in an apartment, in Ontario, on the shady side, and I can't even get peas to grow past 3" high without dying! I don't think there is one answer, maybe there just isn't, but we, all of us on both sides of the border need to do SOMETHING!
    So here's a couple of things we can do.

*Get all activist on our governments, local and above. Can you have small livestock in your town? You know, rabbits, chickens and maybe a goat or two if you had the room? You may not want them right now, but think about this...CAN you have them? Are you ALLOWED? If not, why not? Get out there and make connections with people, start a community garden. Lobby your local politicians (no matter what side of the border you live on) to change the laws to allow folks in your town to be able to raise chickens or rabbits. educate yourself, then them. Be reasonable and be sane, but be firm. This is YOUR future and your RIGHTS we're talking about!

*Learn about foraging. What is it? How do you do it? Do you have a local group? We can supplement our diets with "wild" food that tastes good. try it, you'll feel better for it.

*Find your local gardening association, group or guild. Groups of this nature often have speakers. You can learn a bunch from someone who comes in to talk about bio-intensive gardening, or square foot gardening or saving seed. Educate yourself and you'd be surprised what solutions might present themselves.

*Get creative!
    There is a collective in new York that has designed a hydroponic system made from 2L pop bottles and tubing, and they grow veggies in windows on the 15th floor of a high rise. Creativity, determination and stubbornness can go a long way.

And while you're busy with all that...write to your local government and ask them to explain why gas is so high, and why food is so high, and why they aren't doing more to feed their constituents. They are there to work for YOU. Make them do their job!

Its not the prices of everything going up, its the value of your money going down.

Sorry FarmerGeorge, I politely disagree. When a loaf of bread costs $2.89 for crappy white...potatoes sells for $3.99 for 5 pounds and meat is too expensive to even consider for most....that's not just the worth of my dollar. There's a whole lot more factors that make my lunch expensive, and it's not likely to come down ever again.

As government gets bigger it gets more intrusive. If it stopped passing laws tomorrow none of the politicians would get re-elected because they were do-nothings. There's always someone with a complaint and a politician eager to get a vote so they'll propose a law.

The only way to save seeds now is to buy heirlooms that haven't been crossbred and save the seeds from them. The day will come though when it will be illegal to sell seed that hasn't been approved by the gov't.

When I was a kid everyone had animals for food. My grand dad had chickens for eggs until they stopped laying then they were dinner. When I was really young he had a milk cow. I've never raised chickens but have considered it. It would be a hobby for us but we just bought a motor home and plan to travel a bit so someone else would get stuck feeding them.

According to me in this time cost of food is too much.

You are all absolutely right about the increase in food prices, my wife and I have been saying for years to friends and family that people need to be more aware of this, gold is nothing if you can't buy any food, I believe Monsanto knows this, if you do some research they have been (not so slowly) waging legal wars on small farmers because of their GMO seed cross pollination. We have been setting ourselves up for this for quite awhile, with God's help we built our own house and barn, we raise sheep, chickens, and beef and have a garden that gets larger each year. We try to be as self contained (self sustaining tin hatters seems a bit crazy) :-) We buy bulk items that have a long shelf life, wheat berries can be stored ~20 years at 50 degrees F in an airtight container with oxygen absorbers.
    Sorry I am a bit fanatical about this, it's very important to associate with others of like mind, you can help each other and it is very difficult to move forward with a lot of nay Sayers

Scripture tells the truth
    Rev 6:6
    Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, “Two pounds of wheat for a day’s wages, and six pounds of barley for a day’s wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!”

It isn't so much the cost of food that is getting me depressed, it is the cost of fuel.
    If it's broken, get a hammer. If that doesn't fix it, get a bigger hammer! - Jamie Murray, Circa 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by farmergeorge View Post
    Its not the prices of everything going up, its the value of your money going down.
    AGREE 100% FED RESERVE calls it "Quantitative Easing II" I can't even spell it its so new to ME. they printed an extra 20% of our money last year . WHY? because the gov,t can. The title suggests this is the second time they have done it and wall street expects the FEDERAL RESERVE to do it again this year. Who needs a balanced budget
    Buck
    My tractor is not a toy, its one of many tools of the trade

Let's just go with we have a mess on our hands.

Food and fuel are so intertwined that I see no way that they will ever be seperated in this country. Buying local has all but gone out the window, because there is no such thing anymore. Almost everything has to be shipped SOMEWHERE at SOME POINT. Instead of worrying about trying to keep everything "self-contained", how about we do something about the rising cost of fuel.

Now, I love nature. I love to hunt and fish. But, we have to have oil. Period. And I'm tired of paying half of my price of gas to the government in taxes so they can blow it and then go print more.

How about some of us "minions" smarten up and make our way to Capitol Hill as representatives of the people, as they are supposed to be to begin with. Can you imagine it, a bunch of country hicks blocking a budget bill and forcing the government to cut taxes! What a day it would be!
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

Due to floods and droughts produce is going to sky rocket, find the nearest u-pic are farmers market fresh and a lot cheaper