Thread: Chickens not laying

Chickens not laying

OK, so maybe they are molting, but the egg production is waaaaay down, and has been for a long time. When I go out to the coop I chant this:

Early to bed,
    late to rise,
    keep this up,
    and I'll make you pies!

Oh, and I don't mean that I'm going to bake some pies FOR them.

Last year when our's were molting they stopped laying. Went nearly two months without eggs.
    AbO 2012

Hang your avatar in the coop.
    That should scare something out of them.

I have a little picture of a roasted chicken hanging above their nest boxes to remind them of their fate if they don't produce. They sprayed graffiti on it.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont
    How old are the chickens? Production drops after 3 years. But I have to admit, I keep them all, they worked hard for me for a few good years, and you still get eggs out of them when they're older, just not as much, so they deserve a break. Also, have you changed their feed?

If they're 3 or under and the feed is the same, I agree it's because of their molt.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

I started giving my chickens some treats - dried up bread crusts, leftover veggies, cut up apples after my daughter only ate half, cut up banana peels, etc. I only gave them treats on the weekends. They started laying not long after I started giving them treats. There are lots of hokie ideas on how to get them to lay - like add some cayenne pepper (I think) to their feed. I have no idea if that would help or not.

Make sure their water and feed is never empty. Even one day of no feed or water can totally throw them off cycle.

I don't know what you are feeding but if it's Laying pellets, try switching to Chick Starter for a week or two. It is much higher in protein, needed for egg production. If you are feeding straight corn then definately give them more protein as corn is only about 4% protein. Here in the South sometimes we give Soybean meal which is 40-44% protein.
    Another thing to consider is a Calcium Deficency. This can be corrected by feeding oyster shell supplements which can be purchased at the feed store.
    One time when my chickens quit laying, I gave them Greens -- Turnip or Mustard Greens I got from the garden as well as grass clippings after mowing my yard. I kept my chickens in a pen about 40x40 so they weren't free to "Graze" as Free Run chickens do. Let us know if any of this helps. Thanks Belah

Smokey Mountains N.C. USA (3150' elevation
    Do they ever get out of the coop to go do some scratchin & get some sun too?

I'm convinced that we have lazy chickens. They know we aren't going to stew them, so they lay an egg or two only when they feel like it.

We put out minerals, they always have fresh food and water, the proper amount of light, a good amount of exercise, and yet they are producing little. A friend told us that they need stimulating; she has a radio going in her coop. The day after I spent some 'quality time' ours, we got eggs out of 50% of them! I am beginning to think they just need something that is not routine each day.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzDad View Post
    I'm convinced that we have lazy chickens. They know we aren't going to stew them, so they lay an egg or two only when they feel like it.

We put out minerals, they always have fresh food and water, the proper amount of light, a good amount of exercise8 month, and yet they are producing little. A friend told us that they need stimulating; she has a radio going in her coop. The day after I spent some 'quality time' ours, we got eggs out of 50% of them! I am beginning to think they just need something that is not routine each day.
    8 months and your still not getting production.....it's pretty clear the weather has nothing to do with it. I'm sure you know about this website :Chicken Learning Center - Raise Chickens, Incubate Eggs, Hatch Chicks
    It's pretty comprehensive, I noticed they mention that a common reason for lack of production is predators. Is it possible something is getting your eggs before you do? A snake will get your eggs, leave, and there won't be a sign that it was there.
    On the other hand after this long I should think you have noticed something..... I have had no prbelms with production but I have had predation, on eggs and more so on chickens......just a thought