Thread: Tree stumps

Tree stumps

We have some tree stumps in our back yard and I want them removed. Is there any way we can remove them ourselves or how much does it cost to have stumps removed?

I've heard of people cutting them as low as they can with a chainsaw, chopping them out with an ax, and then pouring something flammable on the roots and burning them, but that sounds like it's very labor intensive and not a very good way to do it. If they're not very big, they can be dug out, but that's a hard way to do it, too, unless you have the equipment for it. I don't know how much it costs to have them removed, but I imagine it's pretty expensive.

Dantheman,
    Just last weekend, I pulled the stump out from a pine tree that was blown over a little over a year ago. It was about 12 inches diameter at the base and sticking up about 6" where I had cut the trunk. I dug down a little around it to locate the major roots. Then I used an axe to cut those as well as some of the smaller ones. Didn't try and get EVERY little root cut. DON'T use a chainsaw, as you probably already know. Biggest roots were about 3" in diameter and there were 2 of them. Then I just wrapped a hefty chain (3/8" link) around the base, hooked it to my 4x4 pickup and pulled it out. Took a couple of tries and a few more whacks at the big roots as they got exposed from the pulls. Smelled a little bit of clutch as I did it (probably took a little bit of life out of it LOL), but the stump just popped out.

Also have a couple of stumps in our backyard that need to be pulled and I can't get my p/u in the area. Was quoted between $60-$100 to grind them by tree service companies.

Guess the biggest questions are: how big are the stumps? how quickly do you want them out (I've read about methods to burn, dissolve, etc)? how much sweat equity you willing to put in?

I don't know the answer to that question - but I do want to say that if you have to leave a tree stump, make sure you leave it big enough for someone to see it. Nothing like tripping over a stump and busting your nose!

We had a tree service remove an immense willow stump once. They had a special grinder they used to grind it down to the level of the ground.

It is pretty expensive to remove a tree stump where I am. We have had it done once and another time we left it in. Keep in mind where there is tree left, you can get mushrooms and such growing from it.

If you completely cover it with dirt for a year -- it will rapidly rot away!