Thread: Moving a big portable building

Unhappy Moving a big portable building

I have a 12 x 28 portable building i had built on site after Hurricane Rita, it is on skids and has 2x6 floor joists on 16" centers, studs are 24" center. I need to move it now sideways 30 feet and foreward 36 feet. Any help on doing this economicly? I have to let it down off of 1 set of house blocks to get it to the pads. Had to build it where it is to store things from my house while i built an new house in front, Rita destroyed it. Now I need to move the building closer to my new home so I do not have to walk 130 feet for a screw driver each time. Can I but some long 4x6 down and tie on to them with a tractor and slide it sideways maybe. HELP PLEASE. Oh sad but true I am also partialy disabled now so I need a way that is not too labor intensive. Dave

Administrator
    Wow, Dave, I'm so sorry to hear about your situation... Hold tight, someone here with experience or insight will be able to help you.

In the meantime, here is some info on support for those of you affected by the hurricane:

Red Cross may still be assisting those in your area. Click here.

IRS offers tax relief to those affected. Click here.

If you need more information, I would become friends with the Google search engine. www.google.com.

All the best!

David, i've moved a 10' x 12' building quite a distance with a tractor, but no experience with one as big as yours. It sounds as if you have the right idea, but I don't know about the weight involved. Are you doing to move everything out of the building or will it still have tools and such in it? If you put 4 x 6s under it, will the front ends be tapered? Of better still can you lift the front ends with either the front end loader of the 3-point hitch to move the building? How many 4 x 6s, how far apart? How will you keep them the same distance apart as you go?